Orange Beer Cupcakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollypoptree

Reaction score
I made some Oberon (orange beer from Michigan) Beer cupcakes the other day that turned out fantastic! I got the recipe from http://www.michiganbeerblog.net/2012/05/oberon-cupcakes.html but I made some modifications, you could certainly use Blue Moon or Shocktop.

Cupcakes:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 orange, zested (plus more for frosting, you can use the sliced orange wedges for decoration)
2/3 cup Oberon/Blue Moon/Shocktop (DON’T DRINK THE REST quite yet)
2 tablespoons half and half or whole milk

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
 Set aside.
3. With a hand mixer, cream butter for 1 minute. Add sugar and cream together with butter for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
5. Add vanilla and orange zest and mix until just combined.
6. In a mixing bowl whisk together beer and milk. Alternatively add beer mixture and flour mixture to butter mixture until fully incorporated.
7. Fill cupcake liners 1/2-2/3 full.
8. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
 Transfer cupcakes onto a cooling rack.
9. Once cool, brush some of the remaining beer on the tops of the cupcakes, making sure they aren’t soggy. Top with frosting and decorations.

Orange Buttercream Frosting:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, very soft
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1/4- 1/2 cup orange juice
1-3 teaspoon grated orange zest (depends on your taste)

Directions:

1. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of sugar, then 1/4 cup of the juice and the zest. Beat until smooth and creamy.
2. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (I used 8 cups so it was nice and firm). Add more orange juice/or zest as needed.
3. Top cupcakes.

If you plan on serving cupcakes at a later date you can refrigerate your bounty, but make sure you take the cupcakes out of fridge with enough time so frosting can soften. I was going to add orange slices onto my cupcakes but I refrigerated them and the frosting was too hard to put wedges in prior to serving :( 2-3 hours and they will sofen

cupcakes.jpg

Back