Oraka Spring water profile for beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdogbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have been looking at Ozarka Spring water for brewing due to the tap water being almost undrinkable and the filtering I have at the house (Berkley) takings too much out of the good things for brewing.

I have been told Ozarka spring water is a good source for brewing however when I read the report everything is in a ranges of values. Some seem to be large ranges.

I can understand that due to the multiple sources they are getting the water from however when putting the profile into brewing software I do not know if It should use min/middle/max values so I can make the proper evaluation the water for a given style of beer.

My goal is to perfect as much as possible every part of my brewing so I would appreciate advise on how people that use bottled water evaluate the water profile with such variances given the quality analysis reports.

Also if you could recommend a quality water tester that is accurate and easy to read that would be great!

Cheer!

Hello All,
Also if you could recommend a quality water tester that is accurate and easy to read that would be great!
Cheer!

Go to your local pet store and buy an API GH & KH test kit. Should cost about $9.

From GH you can decently derive nominal Ca++ and Mg++.

From KH you will know your waters alkalinity.

But best is to buy RO water and skip spring water.

Use the money saved in purchasing RO vs. spring water to collect up some Calcium Chloride and Gypsum and table salt (and perhaps also some Epsom Salt and Baking Soda) with which to make your own mineral water.

Back