Opps.. there goes my malt^&*%$#

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Reaction score
Ok, so I was really in the mood to brew a batch today and this happens. I typically warm up my malt extract in a pot of warm water, while it's in it's container, because it's easier to pour. Well, this new partial kit I bought has the malt in a plastic bag not a container. Long story short, the bag melted through. So I had to toss it, because I was afraid the plastic leached into the malt. Anyway, now I don't have any malt. I'm guessing the wort should be okay for the next 2 days and I can just boil it and start over again. My thought being that there isn't any yeast in there and as long as I keep it covered on the stove it should be fine. It's going to boil for an hour anyway and that will kill anything.

Any thought????

If you didn't add any ME, how do you have wort? What do you have? Water with hops in it?

What he said, and if so, why did you add the hops if there was no malt in there yet? :confused:

But don't worry... I melted an airlock once.

What brand/kit did you get that had extract in a plastic bag? Actually not a bad idea as long as its packed a way that it stays fresh... you could just squeeze the bag out rather than trying to scrape the inside of those annoying cans.

…
Well, this new partial kit I bought has the malt in a plastic bag not a container.
…
Easy guys. He got a Partial Grains with Extract kit. Some HBSs call them Mini-mash kits. I have done this before. You can mash the grains, boil the hops in THAT liquid and add the extract at flame out. And THAT liquid is WORT, just a weak wort.

It should be fine. Be sure it is sealed good. After it cools enough cover the top with saran wrap. You might consider putting it in the fridge. Couldn’t hurt.

Easy guys. He got a Partial Grains with Extract kit. Some HBSs call them Mini-mash kits. I have done this before. You can mash the grains, boil the hops in THAT liquid and add the extract at flame out. And THAT liquid is WORT, just a weak wort.

It should be fine. Be sure it is sealed good. After it cools enough cover the top with saran wrap. You might consider putting it in the fridge. Couldn’t hurt.

Oh, now I see. I wasn't trying to be a ******, I just couldn't figure out what was going on. Like Beer Guy said, cover it good and refrigerate it until you're ready to carry on. Good luck.

How much grain did you use in this recipe? My feeling is that you have a beer tea right now with very little fermentable sugars, if the malt got thrown away. Did you take a gravity reading?

I mean it could be okay, but I would have boiled it first before putting it away. Leaving any wort that has touched grains out isn't a good idea. Ever smelled a sour mash?

Back