Opinions wanted on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleDave

Reaction score
I've gathered some ingredients and aim to brew the following soon but would love some feedback on the recipe and what to expect. I started out thinking about a Nut Brown Ale and then deviated a bit based on what ingredients I had easy access to.

This is a 3 gallon batch.
OG should be around 1.051

3 lb American - Pale 2-Row
1 lb Munich
8oz Special B
8oz Biscuit
8oz Flaked Oats
2oz British - Extra Dark Crystal

0.5 oz Palisade 60 min 7AA
0.5 oz Willamette 15 min 4.5AA
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min 5 AA

Mash at 152
Yeast will be Safale -04
Ferment at 66 degrees

Thoughts on this? Anything I should reconsider? Thanks!

It will be good beer, but I doubt it will be brown, I'm thinking more an American-style Amber.

I don't brew 3 gallon batches so I'm not sure if I'm right, but if I scaled this to brew at 5 gallons one thing would stand out to me. Your ratio of base malt to specialty malt looks to close. Typically, I would have more 2-row but every recipe us different. I'd throw in a bit of chocolate malt or roasted barley myself.

I'm using the Munich more as an addition to the base but I think it might be better to use less of the special b. it's a very high percentage.

Roastquake's right though, it's not going to be brown. You need to add something with a high srm in order to darken it. That's why I suggested a chocolate malt or anything to darken it a bit. I would also up the vase malts more to reach your desired gravity.

Color does not matter much to me. In a recipe calculator the SRM Morey comes up at 16 which is in the range for an English Brown Ale (northern). I'm more concerned about what sort of flavors to expect given the grains used. I don't expect to buy anything more because it would have to be online and shipping would make the little batch really expensive. I have some Amber DME that I can use if I need to. I could double the extra dark crystal.

Add the extra dark crystal and another half pound to one pound of the base malt if you have it. That should get you in the desired color and gravity range.

Back