Opinions on this brew system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
I was looking at this brew system on craigslist. It's definitely different, but I was looking for opinions on it because I have no experience with this stuff. I don't know the amps yet, but he brews 10 gallon batches fine. He knows someone I know so I've been told he brews good consistent beers.

I'd appreciate any I out on whether or not it looks like a good system.
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/for/4738848102.html

I saw that one too. Lots of moving parts in that system. I would just make you could find the parts in case repair is needed.

That is a good concern. The other is it is CIP and right now, I don't have a way to clean it without flooding my garage. I was considering a brew shed though.

I could not justify paying that much for a system built around sinks. I'd at least have the bling of the Sabco to keep the hole in my heart warm.

I saw that posted last week.

I looked at the pics and read it a few times. I think it would be a pretty good system if you wanted to jump into electric and didn't have a setup that would be easily customized to that.

As for the price, at first glance I think its a bit high but... That being said, I'm pretty sure I have spent more than that on all the stuff I have so... oh, and it took me years to get to the point of building the stand I have now.

If I had to do it all over again I would still build it myself just cuz I like doing that as much as I like brewing but for someone who can't do it or doesn't want to for whatever reason, it seems like an option to look at even if it's discontinued, anything can be fixed if something where to need it.

Nostrovia.

I could not justify paying that much for a system built around sinks. I'd at least have the bling of the Sabco to keep the hole in my heart warm.
I understand that but it is a good system in it of itself and while it is not bling...I am not looking at bling. I'm too old for bling anyway. :D
I saw that posted last week.

I looked at the pics and read it a few times. I think it would be a pretty good system if you wanted to jump into electric and didn't have a setup that would be easily customized to that.

As for the price, at first glance I think its a bit high but... That being said, I'm pretty sure I have spent more than that on all the stuff I have so... oh, and it took me years to get to the point of building the stand I have now.

If I had to do it all over again I would still build it myself just cuz I like doing that as much as I like brewing but for someone who can't do it or doesn't want to for whatever reason, it seems like an option to look at even if it's discontinued, anything can be fixed if something where to need it.

Nostrovia.
Overall, I would love to build something myself, but I know my limits. I am not sure I want to tackle the DIY control panel because I would be concerned that something was wrong and it would catch fire. I can handle buying kettles and drilling holes for the elements, but the bigger expense is the electrical. The Electric Brewery system is something like $2400 if I have it ready-built. Then I have to buy all elements and new kettles. It is still a thought though. I've loved my induction so much thus far that I really feel the urge to move in this direction.

I am still thinking about it. The good news is the cash is not in hand today so I am not able to make rash decisions. Price wise, that is just a number. I wasn't too worried about it yet.

You and me both brother. But sinks?? Lol

haha well...I don't like the Sabco stuff because I don't particularly care for keggles.

I just noticed kal also posted. Maybe I should get serious about pricing out his stuff.

haha well...I don't like the Sabco stuff because I don't particularly care for keggles.

I just noticed kal also posted. Maybe I should get serious about pricing out his stuff.

there are more economical brew panels out there. members here like brumatuer build and sell control panels...
If you have a month to wait you can purchase the components directly from china on ebay or amazon like I did and build your panel for a few hundered bucks...
the wiring is really not that difficult and you can always pay an electrician to look it over or post schematics here for approval/ tips.
just for reference I built my panel below for under $300 and all together with my three vessal 3 element (rims tube) setup with plate chiller I have spent right about $1,000 now since I keep tweaking and adding things... for example my float switch to prevent dry firing on my HLT element should arrive in the mail today...

IMG_20141029_193052_140.jpg

Part of my system is Kal's control panel and Stout 20 gallon kettles. I just went back and reviewed my brewery cost spreadsheet and it looks like all 3 kettles shipped to me in KS were $1,905.48 and Kal's panel/power cord/tri clamp temp probes with everything assembled was $2,489. I went with all SS elements (including the bases) from brewmation and 2 of those were $133.20. This totals about a grand more than that used system but the equipment is new, very nice, under warranty for awhile and as to the earlier reply there's plenty of bling involved. Of course the equipment listed totals less than 1/2 what we have into the brewery itself but if you're just looking at the basic equipment costs I believe it's preferable over the system you linked.

I never liked the look of the 3-sink setup either, but from what I've read in the past, it's a setup that worked (works) well. It was one of the hundreds of setups I stole ideas from when designing my own.

The Electric Brewery system is something like $2400 if I have it ready-built. Then I have to buy all elements and new kettles.
Why new kettles? You shouldn't have to unless you want to change your batch size.

Kal

I never liked the look of the 3-sink setup either, but from what I've read in the past, it's a setup that worked (works) well. It was one of the hundreds of setups I stole ideas from when designing my own.

Why new kettles? You shouldn't have to unless you want to change your batch size.

Kal

I have a 10 gallon and 15 gallon. I'd need to buy a mash tun at least. I've been on your site all day.

If you plan on using my brewing process, I'd use the 15 gallon for the boil, then fill the MLT and HLT separately (they can then be a bit smaller) and you shouldn't be too limited other than possibly very high gravity beers. That said, for ultimate flexibility and ease of use, I like all 3 kettles to be twice the batch size. (i.e. 20 gallon kettles if I want to keg 10 gallons of beer).

Kal

I have found my 10 gallon cooler MT limits mw when it comes to bigger 10 gallon beers... I'm basically in the Same boat were cosmetically I dont like having three different types/sizes of kettles/cooler. If I come across something that works just as well for a good price I may upgrade but I dont know if I want to go backwards in function with a stainless MT and have to build a bigger rims tube to compensate for the thermal losses. my system works well, Its just ugly.. :(

Well, I've convinced myself that this system, while neat and very functional, is not what I want. Looking at everything as a whole, my biggest concern is support if something fails. I can come here and show my control panel and say something doesn't work on any kal-type system (or kal itself/himself). With this, I think there would be some explaining needed and there may be a point where I cannot do that effectively.

My initial plan is to only buy a 15 gallon kettle as a mash tun and work with the mis-matched stuff. I can handle that just fine, oddly. The 15 gallon concord pot is the BK and the 10 gallon bayou classic will be the HLT. I'm barely saving anything by not buying all new kettles when you think about the overall costs, but money is money. I also already have one pump.

This may be far off or not, I'm totally unsure. I originally wanted a shed to brew in but that is bumping up costs quite a bit. Another idea is to do ghetto electrical for a while in my kitchen since there is a 30A plug in there already which I just had installed in March.

tl;dr: I think I'm going with the traditional control panel. :)
Thanks to all for the help. This is absolutely out of my wheelhouse.

Latest posts

Back