(Opinion) which of the apples would make the best cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
I am finally buying enough where I can buy single variety presses instead of a mish mash of whatever they throw in.

I am new to making my own blends so would love to hear thoughts on what blends I should try from the list below.
IMG_3138.JPG

I think "mish mash of whatever they throw in" probably works the best ;) Honeycrisp is probably too expensive to juice; they demand a premium around here. I believe a mixture of Golden Delicious and Winesap would be good, but I'm just trying to guess based on how the apples taste fresh :)

Honeygold is my favorite variety for pies, dried apple slices, and applesauce. It's very similar to a large Golden Delicious.

Last edited:
I am not to the skill level do this myself, so please accept my words as research only:
Mix of sweet and tart should provide better results.
In an ideal, ferment each individual then blend to the right balance.
Otherwise select a mix of sweet, tart, bitter and sharp.

Like wine, time on the skins adds tannins. Consider juicing and fermenting on te skins for say 5-15 days, rack off the skins and continue fermentation.

Most apple producers pick their fruit before it is ripe. Tree ripened fruit is best for cider, but unless you have your own tree, (or a neighbor's tree) you're just not going to get any.
Let the apples ripen for a month or more in a cool place before juicing.
Jonathan make a good base cider.
I can get similar apples around here and what works best is a 10+ apple blend.
Note that some of the flavor descriptions on the list above may not be accurate, but everyone has different tastes, so they may work for some people.
From the list above I would choose:
Smokehouse
Macintosh
Jonathan
Jonagold
Yellow Delicious
York
Stayman
Prime Gold
Melrose
Empire

Granny Smith, Dabinette, Kingston Black, Fuji, Macoun. Some crab apples. McIntosh are pretty much required, they are the most aromatic apples in the world.

Latest posts

Back