Open your panel and show me whats inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
As I start to consider my inner workings and wirings of my panel I wanted to see what others are doing.
So show me your pids!

Mine's not in a panel. Everything is fastened to a sheet of plywood. But I'm not worried because the kids are not allowed in the basement.

I like how you bring it in on the right then move logically down through on the left. Would you change that layout?

I scored a free panel it measures 24H x 18W x 8D would this be to large of a box to use?

now measure your box and open it up for me

-=Jason=-

As I start to consider my inner workings and wirings of my panel I wanted to see what others are doing.
So show me your pids!

Maybe this needs a disclaimer to make sure there is no power going to the panel first. Not saying that everyone doesn't know that already... but just in case someone has had a few too many and forgets so you're not blamed for their misfortune

It's not exactly a panel, but here's mine. I added a fourth fuse block and switch for for a second pump after these photos were taken.

IMG_5436scropped.jpg

20130528_195802s_zpsf9444615.jpg

kevink said:
It's not exactly a panel, but here's mine. I added a fourth fuse block and switch for for a second pump after these photos were taken.

Kevink, very nice clean work. I like the perfect bends to the wires to accommodate hight and to make turns.

I like how you bring it in on the right then move logically down through on the left. Would you change that layout?

I don't think I'd change the layout. My power needs to enter through the lower left hand side of the box as I have the panel mounted on my brew rig and that's the best fit. If I did it again I think I'd use a bit more wire length for the switches and lights on the front door so the wires wouldn't scrape on the edge of the opening. DIN mounted components and wire management guides help a lot to clean it up. Plus I'd daisy chain a lot of the neutrals for the switches instead of putting in home runs for each one.

Make some drawings of how you want the front panel first, then determine how the inside layout needs to be. If you think about it, the power has to flow from the inlet to distribution blocks to breakers to components. From there you have to figure out getting power to your switches, temp controllers, lights, alarms, etc.

Flomaster said:
I scored a free panel it measures 24H x 18W x 8D would this be to large of a box to use? now measure your box and open it up for me -=Jason=-

Never. I once saw a 24" x 24" x 10".
As most things big is never big enough.

Flomaster said:
Cool I'll keep it than.. It even came with a large fan in it.

You have a few options. You can leave it IF you are mounting it where water or liquid will not be reaching it (not recommended). You can remove the 4 screws and purchase plastics or metal to make a cover plate. Lastly you can remove it and use it as your starting hole for your heat sink.

You have a few options. You can leave it IF you are mounting it where water or liquid will not be reaching it (not recommended). You can remove the 4 screws and purchase plastics or metal to make a cover plate. Lastly you can remove it and use it as your starting hole for your heat sink.

it seems you are against having a fan or opening in the control panel I can see where you wouldn't want liquid making its way into the box, but I don't plan on having this thing sitting where its going to be getting wet.

-=Jason=-

Some nice wired setups there!

My manufacturer does a lot cleaner wiring job than I did on my prototype so I'll post theirs first. ;)

50A (4 element) control panel:

50_amp_2.jpg

My 30A prototype that I use myself (upon which the above was based):

IMG_6681.jpg

Kal

If you want some REALLY clean wiring, take a look at these pics that someone sent me:

FinishedCP_Int_01.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_02.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_03.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_04.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_05.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_07.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_08.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_09.jpg

FinishedCP_Int_10.jpg

Talk about clean! (Not to nit-pick but some of the bends may be too sharp to keep CSA/UL approvers happy but it's nice work otherwise).

He posted more pics here.

Kal

kal said:
If you want some REALLY clean wiring, take a look at these pics that someone sent me:

Talk about clean! (Not to nit-pick but some of the bends may be too sharp to keep CSA/UL approvers happy but it's nice work otherwise).

He posted more pics here.

Kal

Good Lord. I'm in awe. I also carefully bent and routed my wires but damn I'd rather be brewing than still making my panel perfect...

Yeah Kal, man, that guy's work is amazing!

mux, I think you're going to have elaborate on what you're building exactly. My guess so far is some sort of electric octopus. :drunk:

50 amp BCS 460, SSR's for each leg of 240, spare SSR already mounted and hooked to unused output of the BCS for future expansion or in case of SSR failure, I could quickly run some jumper wires to get back to business. The unit under the wall wort is a 90 volt D.C. power supply for my pumps.

Kal - your an inspiration
Mux - about time someone took ebrewing seriously. Really really seriously.
Gunmetal -looks great, what's the bottom look like? I like what your doing with the electrical connections.

Ok, I now see that my wiring was not as good as I thought it was, relative to all these artifacts of perfection. But hey, it makes beer! (when it's not blowing my 1960s-era main breaker...)

panel.jpg

I have seen a panel where they run the wires under the mounting panel with holes and grommets. Who was that, why, and is it worth it? It seem that could be pretty nice for showing off components.

kal said:
You probably mean my post a few posts above: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/open-your-panel-show-me-whats-inside-438542/index3.html#post5611443 Why? Because it looks cleaner and may make part replacement simpler. Worth it? That's up to you. Kal

Of course when I'm on the iPad having to rely on crappy slow 3G internet. Sorry I couldn't see images so well.

I think it looks so clean plus you can make some cool colors for the mounting plate. Looks like I'm going to the store for some color choices and grommets.

Mine so far and wow did I underestimate this build! So much more to it then I thought it was going to be but a lot of fun building this system. Hopefully everything works out when I go to test it.

DSC01091 by Ludahchris, on Flickr

50 amp BCS 460, SSR's for each leg of 240, spare SSR already mounted and hooked to unused output of the BCS for future expansion or in case of SSR failure, I could quickly run some jumper wires to get back to business. The unit under the wall wort is a 90 volt D.C. power supply for my pumps.

Gunmetal, do you have any large pics to get a better look?

Thanks,
Trent

I'm controlling my RIMS tube with the PID controller and recently added a PWM board and second SSR to control my HLT and BK.

I used a mix of new and used parts and power it all with a 50 A GFCI 220 volt circuit.

Its simple yet flexible and functional,

DSCN3289 (Small).JPG

DSCN3293 (Small).JPG

DSCN3291 (Small).JPG

Prices of the different plug/ cord and outlet combinations can be expensive.

This was a relatively cost effective alternative. Cord/plug was $17. Receptacle and box were $7.

So who is using DIN rails. I have all my components ready and am going to hopefully (fingers crossed) start on the panel this weekend. I have all din mount items.
Is it better to mount running top to bottom or by elements or by random order.
What have you found that works best? (I'm sure there is a thread for this but it is beady-bye time!

Back