Open fermentation saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadabar

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done a saison with open fermentation, or know of a brewery that practices it for this style? Your thoughts?

there are many breweries that still practice open fermentation in europe and here in the usa. anchor steam in san francisco does it and there are many more.

I know that breweries still practice it. I was meaning specifically the saison style...

I've done it. And I've won several awards with the beer. Now I am assuming you're actually referring to open fermentation and NOT spontaneous fermentation.

There's a BIG difference....

Michael

I for the most part do open fermentations on all my belgians anymore. When the activity dies down then I toss an airlock and lid on my fermentor. I use an old 10gal corney keg so I just screw the top back on and put my air lock in place. If I think the beer will blow off krausen out the top of the fermentor I will often cap it and then run the blow off tube. I hate cleaning up a mess and a foamed over fermentor is a damn mess.

Back