Oops - secondary bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
primary was in glass carboy for 9 Days.
Transferred to secondary (glass carboy) for 10 Days.
Had to use some cellophane to keep my bung/airlock in the carboy. When I went to rack it the carboy was under a lot of pressure as I must have accedently covered the bung hole (lol). Now the question, do I wait some time to de-gas before racking.
The beer is
Cranberry Clamor Gruit kit from Northern Brewer.

If the cellophane really did keep the pressure in and the beer is already more carbed than normal, you pretty much have to guess how much priming sugar you need.

If you want to play it safe, leave it for a few more days and prime as usual.

Honestly, I don't think the cellophane will hold any real pressure and the affect might be minimal.

If there was any significant co2 buildup it would have blown the bung out. Just so that you don't over carbonate the beer I would wait a couple of days.

Next step is to purchase bungs of the proper size.

What was your preference in BrewersFriend? There are pitch options including "Professional".
I find the pitch calculators very cautious, with low viability estimates and high pitch rates.
I accept the manufacturer's recommendation. One pack is plenty for three gallons.

If there was any significant co2 buildup it would have blown the bung out. Just so that you don't over carbonate the beer I would wait a couple of days.

Next step is to purchase bungs of the proper size.

I disagree. The next thing to do is to fill the carboy with mead so one isn't tempted to use it for secondary. There are very few reasons to use a secondary and filling the carboy will take the temptation away at least until the mead is done. By then the temptation to secondary beer may be able to be overcome until one has a legitimate reason to do so.

Latest posts

Back