Oops...forgot about that primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
Well I had to dump my first batch today. I had 5 gal of graff I made in Jan that I just found. My problem was that I put it in the spare bedroom closet because my normal spot was full. I happened to be poking around in there today and came across it. All the water in the airlock had evaporated and when I took the top off...oh good lord. 3 inch layer of nasty white foam and it smelled of vinegar. :( Oh well, live and learn.

Was the fermenter plastic or glass? If it was plastic, better get rid of it, and anything else plastic that this batch may have touched...

Too bad you threw it out though. Ever had pickled sausage? I bet a vinegared beer would be awesome in it!

Oh, I didn't think of getting rid of the bucket. Yes it is plastic...anyone else say the same or is there an extensive way I could clean it and be safe?

You could try to clean it, but if it really was a vinegar bacteria, it would have soaked into the plastic, so most likely, you will get the same infection over and over again. Try to wash out the smell from an old pickle-jar lid. It's a much smaller scale than a bucket, but it's still impossible to remove.

When people make sour beers, they usually use completely separate plastic equipment just for the sours, because of the bacteria soaking into the plastic.

EDIT: Besides, plastic buckets aren't really all that expensive. So I would play it safe and not risk ruining another beer.

Had the same thing happen to me back around 1990.... my first (and only) attempt at a Lager.... I kept it in an uninsulated closet under my stairwell for the winter... perfect temps.... the SWMBO opened up the closet and let loose a blood-curdling scream... fungus looking foam had ran down the side of the carboy and onto the floor ("Attack of the mushroom people").... all these years later, and I dare not use the word "Lager" around her... Only batch I ever had to dump.... carboy (glass) went with it... pitch the bucket, not worth the risk, worry or effort.

I lost an entire (and fairly expensive) batch of mead this way. Airlock evaporated, fruit flies arrived, boom! five gallons of peach melomel vinegar. Blech.

I even tried making a vinegarette dressing out of it. It wasn't good enough to be worth saving any of the batch.

You can try putting a gallon or so of boiling water in there then putting the lid on to steam sanitize it. Do this a couple times, dumping the water after each round. The steam should kill anything in the plastic.

Then again, you'd probably spend more on heating and water than you would on a new $12 bucket.

Back