Ooooohh s...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat1268

Reaction score
So I am currently brewing and my pouch of yeast fell off the table and int direct sunlight it's swollen but not blown out am I ok?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Do you think it got hotter than 120F? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. I might, however, be a little concerned that I hadn't pitched my starter yet and I was already brewing...

So far so good OG 1.090 all looks good

Gee munch ! I don't know!! Heh smells good don't have a chiller so doin it with ice and a tub

Have you tried doing a yeast starter? Next time try it and your yeast pouch won't be in the sun it will be in a glass vessel on your table or counter. Plus it will jump start your yeast and get them ready to make beer.

Good Times!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What size brew? Only one packet for a 1.090 beer? Hopefully you have more or are doing a 3 gallon batch or less. Even a 3 gallon will be way underpitched.

Yeah just one . Was a big packet tho

Yeah just one . Was a big packet tho

Is this a Wyeast "big" packet? The size of the packet doesn't matter. Those have only 100 billion cells. With an1.090 beer, you just seriously under pitched unless it was a small batch. Pay attention to cell count not the size of your package. ;)

How many gallons did you brew?

5gals do I need to get another acket

Is there a krausen forming yet? If not, and you can get more yeast immediately, I would do it. Check a pitch rate calc to see how much yeast you should be pitching.

So I was just looking at my hydrometer and the paper is actually loose . Ergo inaccurate reading! Krausen is forming

The paper is loose in the hydrometer? That sounds weird.

Was this an extract batch? Was it a kit? If so, whatever the kit said the OG would be is likely close. Even still, if it was a Wyeast pack, no matter how large it was, there are 100 billion cells and that isn't quite enough.

If you go to this site posted below, even if you never make a starter, you can tell how many packets of yeast you need to achieve proper pitch rate.
http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

So for example, using your 1.090 number that was originally given, you need 306 billion cells. If you did use a wyeast smack pack, you need 3 packs or a starter before you brew.

boydster is correct, if you can get to another pack of yeast fast, do it. If not, let it ride. What was the beer you brewed?

Simcoe IPA going to call the place I got the kit from today and see what to do

If you wait 24+ hours from the initial pitch to add more yeast, don't bother, it will just be a waste of money. The yeast that are already present will multiply until there are enough to do the job. That extra reproduction can lead to some off-flavors, which is why it is good to check on a pitch rate calc before you add the yeast. It's not the end of the world, though - you'll still make beer and it will probably be very good. Next time you make this recipe, though, take a look at your pitch rate and if necessary, build a starter. You'll be impressed with how much your beer improves.

Just looked at it and I got bubbles1per second

If you wait 24+ hours from the initial pitch to add more yeast, don't bother, it will just be a waste of money. The yeast that are already present will multiply until there are enough to do the job. That extra reproduction can lead to some off-flavors, which is why it is good to check on a pitch rate calc before you add the yeast. It's not the end of the world, though - you'll still make beer and it will probably be very good. Next time you make this recipe, though, take a look at your pitch rate and if necessary, build a starter. You'll be impressed with how much your beer improves.

Don't we wish that kit instructions would convey those crucial details? And the yeast packages too.

But the process of preparing a starter could be the extra step that may deter people from purchasing that kit, and instead buy the one that doesn't mention it. I wonder how many batches have failed because of that omission.

^ Kits will never be perfect. In fact, I tend to believe there are intentional omissions. I'll take my tinfoil hat off now though.

Back