Only have a 1000ml flask, can I use it for a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZZ

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 1000ml Erlenmeyer but no stir plate. I've recently bought a bunch of new equipment and would really like to use my existing equipment if possible. Can I use this flask for starters or do I really need to get a 2000ml?

Just depends on the starter you want. If the starter is 1000ml or lower then you are good to go. Just remember to leave some room for krausen. You could also use fermcap-s to reduce that risk.

You can use it for small starter. Fermcap would help keep the krausen down to prevent over flows. I wouldn't recommend boiling your wort on the stove with the small flask. Boiling in a small flask will guarantee a volcanic like eruption.
Boil your wort in a separate kettle to get a good boil with little risk of a boil over. Cool in the kettle before adding to your starter container.

Do your have a gallon pickle jar, etc? Any type of container, that is food safe, can be used to make a starter in. I use a 1.1 gallon RubberMaid storage container on the stir plate and a two gallon pickle jar off the stir plate. Bottom isn't flat in the pickle jar so it won't hold the stir bar reliably.

I do 5 gallon batches in 6.5 gallon carboys. I do have foam stoppers.

Is it doable? If so, I know u gotta leave some room for krausen so what would I do, use say 750ml water? Or 500-600ml?

I have the same flask. I do small starters in it, but stepped starters can also be done. I mostly use it for re-hydrating dry yeast in 400mL of spring water nuked to about 90F.

Thanks guys. That first calculator is badass. The second one doesn't allow dry yeast packet calculation.

After playing with it sure looks like I really need a 2000ml, and probably a stir plate too.

You can get away without a stir plate and you would want to do step starters. You can do a small one, cold crash, decant, rinse and repeat.

When I started I went with a 1000ml flask, even bought 2 so I could do 2 5 gallon batches at once (I have two stir plates as well). The more I learned I went to a 2L flask. I recently added a 3L flask. If I knew then what I know now I would have just got a 3L but I never thought I would need something that big. My 1L flasks are just sitting there gathering dust. Depending on what you plan to make you would even look to a 3L.

Back