online grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
There's a LHBS less than 10 minutes from me but they're pricey. Super nice shop but they definitely pass on the cost... I used to live about 15 minutes from another, cheaper, LBHS which now I live about 45 minutes away from. So, my issue is... if I drive further out it sort of kills the cheaper cost and it take a lot longer. I could brew my pale ale for about $27 bucks at the cheaper place. At the nicer place it's about $50.
I just bought a mill so I'm thinking about bulk ordering grains so I don't have to go anywhere. Shipping on the grain though is expensive! Does anyone know a good place to order grain online? Thx!

heh, NM... just saw the sticky about homebrew shops... Morebeer seems to be the way to go. If you all know of any other that aren't on the sticky list please let me know! Thx!!

Oh, well I'd shop around a bit. With ordering whole sacks of grain you'll typically pay shipping so finding a closer online retailer might make a big difference. There are lots of great online retailers that sell sacks of grain. Shop around.

Or do like I did, and get in on a group buy. I ended up paying around $36 each for three 55lb sacks of 2-row. I was lucky enough to have another forum member in the area who picked up my grains and brought them from the drop off in Mass. I gave him a $20 for his troubles and a couple bottles of homebrew.

Oh, well I'd shop around a bit. With ordering whole sacks of grain you'll typically pay shipping so finding a closer online retailer might make a big difference. There are lots of great online retailers that sell sacks of grain. Shop around.

morebeer has 10 lb sacks of 2 row for 12 and some change. Over $59 and it's free shipping on most items. So I might just get 20 lbs of 2 row and some random specialty malts that I use often.
Maybe I'll look into a group buy too but I honestly don't think I could use 50 lbs of two row before it got stale.

Just food for thought unmilled grain sealed in an airtight container like a 5 gallon bucket and lid will last a long time before it goes stale.

Agree with morebeer. I buy 4-6kits at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Love free shipping some kits are $21 all grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try www.ritebrew.com Its in Wisconsin, but has low prices on bulk grain buys. $36+shipping for 50lb 2 row. He gives a $2 discount on 10lb grain(same grain) orders. Check it out.

Maybe I'll look into a group buy too but I honestly don't think I could use 50 lbs of two row before it got stale.

Keep it dry and relatively cool (not fridge), and it will last a couple of years. Keep it in a plastic sealed container to keep rodents and bugs out.

See if you can connect with a local micro brewer. They buy large quantities. They don't brew by pounds of this or that, but by sacks! I get mine at $25 for a 50 pound sack, but I've done a lot to help this guy out and I'm a regular customer. It pays to cultivate a relationship......... My last 50 pounder was free. I'm on the third bag since February. I do one 2.5 gallon brew per week approximately.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back