one packet of yeast enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy13

Reaction score
I will be brewing Brewers Best American cream ale. I will not be using the yeast packet that came with the kit, I have a smack pack of yeast. Will this be enough yeast for this brew? My last batch was the Belgian triple, my local home brew store failed to tell me that I need two packets of yeast for such a high gravity beer. I just don't want to make the same mistake twice. I know that the American cream ale is a lower gravity beer then the Belgian triple, but just making sure!
I will also be adding the LME later in the boil so that I do not brown the wort and get a darker beer. I want it straw colored. I have posted previous questions about these subjects (dark beer) and received great responses about them.
Just wanna make sure I'm adding. the correct amount of yeast!

Sounds good. I'll get another pack of the wyeast. Brewing next weekend. Thanks for great advice.

Brewtah said:
A yeast calculator will say you need 2 packs (100 billion per pack). You could make a starter, buy 2 packs or use 1 pkg. Dry yeast. US-05 is the Chico strain too, just dry.

Yes I'd pitch one dry packet of US05 (rehydrated). It is the same as WL 001/ WY 1056 but half the price. You get a lot more yeast in dry packets. And don't need to make a starter.

Anyways, presuming you already made the purchase, make a starter to increase liquid yeast cells. Or buy two.
Or skip this step and presuming your smack pack is super fresh, you can direct pitch as the OG is not high. It will still make beer but is not the best practice. It may take a while to show visible fermentation so don't start a thread freaking out that there is no airlock activity.
good luck!

Ha! I'm passed the freaking out stage. It's been drilled into my brain :
airlock activity means nothing! Take those readings!

I will be brewing Brewers Best American cream ale. I will not be using the yeast packet that came with the kit, I have a smack pack of yeast. Will this be enough yeast for this brew? My last batch was the Belgian triple, my local home brew store failed to tell me that I need two packets of yeast for such a high gravity beer. I just don't want to make the same mistake twice. I know that the American cream ale is a lower gravity beer then the Belgian triple, but just making sure!
I will also be adding the LME later in the boil so that I do not brown the wort and get a darker beer. I want it straw colored. I have posted previous questions about these subjects (dark beer) and received great responses about them.
Just wanna make sure I'm adding. the correct amount of yeast!

If you question is "will this much of this kind of yeast ferment my beer to completion?" the answer is yes. The manufacturers say so.

If your question is "will this much of this kind of yeast make the best beer possible?" the answer is probably not.

Back