One little island of hot break material keeps showing in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinyl_key

Reaction score
I'm about halfway into my boil for a Firestone Walker DBA clone, and there's a bit of what looks like break material that keeps showing up, and always in the same spot of the keggle too. I keep skimming it off and it keeps coming back. I know it's not a bad thing or anything like that, but I was curious as to why it's happening.

Currently RDWHAHB-ing about it. Just makes me chuckle a bit. I think it's messing with me on purpose!

IMAG0004.jpg

I'm confused as to why you feel the need to skim it off or even worry about it. There's usually always a pool of material, often hops and proteins on the top. It doesn't mean anything. Stuff is thrown up to the surface during the action of the boil and just sort of froths there. But doesn't do anything.

I'd worry too, It's in the shape of a little dinosaur, just emerging from it's egg.....:cross::drunk:

I'm confused as to why you feel the need to skim it off or even worry about it. There's usually always a pool of material, often hops and proteins on the top. It doesn't mean anything. Stuff is thrown up to the surface during the action of the boil and just sort of froths there. But doesn't do anything.

I had never skimmed before, and heard that some people did that. Add some boredom with that and I'd figure I'd see if I could tell a difference in clarity or something like that.

Also: this DBA clone is now Dinosaur Barrel Ale.

Back