One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have about 150 different flavors of jarred baltic herring with sauce here on the shelves year round. I usually eat it for breakfast.
Over here where I live, fish on your breakfast plate is something that your so called friends do to you when you are hung over. :D But I understand why you guys have so much,. Those giant schools of herring along with cod have been a major food source for people in your part of the world for ages. Down here in the warmer part of he Atlantic, we don't have any cod and we tend to eat the fishy predators that eat our herring, sardines, etc. We have some smoked medium to large sized fish that some consider semi nasty in their raw state like mullet, amberjack or mackerel, but we have access to fresh fish year round, so there was never really much of a need to preserve it.

I usually eat it for breakfast.

Same for me.
Great on toast bread; I prefer it in oil though. This is the one I buy:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407551753.593601.jpg

I eat it every once and a while for lunch, but I make Bismarckbrötchen in that case.

too lazy to read thru it all..... And not true to the OP subject (since I've had it), Ox Penis Soup.

Yeah, tastes like chicken. But the Pigs blood that goes with it, ouch.

"You whack it down your face in one go."

Really? One bit like this?

While I would love to try itI'd need to take it a little slower on my first time:D

That would be a big bite!!!! Is that rock salt or onion clogging to the fish? Funky regional foods are fun. I wonder how the Scandinavians would react to folks cutting up a tuna on the back of the boat and eating it raw with soy sauce and wasabi or cleaning out a spiny lobster's bunghole using his own antenna?:D

Are there any foods from your hometown or region that you have never had any inerest in trying? For me, that would have to be lamb fries from the state of my birth, Kentucky. For those who do not know what they are, they are sheep's tesicles sliced, breaded and fried. To make it even funnier/more gorse, they are typical served with white cream gravy. I'll pass. :confused: With that said, I have never tried a couple of the other Kentucky dishes, burgoo and mutton BBQ and would like to.

I like to dry rub a lag of lamb & smoke it a few hours with ash wood in my pit. Add a ham & you've got Easter dinner. My family loves it!

I like to dry rub a lag of lamb & smoke it a few hours with ash wood in my pit. Add a ham & you've got Easter dinner. My family loves it!
I have had lamb prepared in a goodly number of ways, but never mutton. BBQ'ing lamb might be considered cheating because it tends to be a high quality meat that does not need hours of flavor and tenderness enhancing abuse. ;)

I grilled boneless leg of lamb twice already this week. Outstanding flavor, cooked to rare - medium-rare. In fact, I just cut up about 20 pounds of the stuff in to small pieces, removing fat and gristle, for use in making curries during the winter. My freezer is a bit packed now!

Lamb is also a lean meat with the fat on the outer carcass, like a deer. So it can dry out if ill-prepared. Low & slow just adds more tenderness & layers of flavor.

When I get lamb it is usually for making the gyros meat (donar/schwarma) for making homemade souvlakis.

Actually I have a leg of lamb in the freezer right now that I've been procrastinating on making. Soon.

... while I'm at it ... scousers ... (ok, a bit silly ... but here it is anyway)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBYlXfjKru4[/ame]

(apologies for being so OT)

I realise that I'm probably in the minorit here, but I've never tried cow tongue. I mean, how would you make it, grill it with some bullseye sauce?

Not sure. I've only had it in blood & tongue sausage (Zungenwurst). It is absolutely delicious on toasted black bread.

This is what I'm talking about:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408587903.536687.jpg

I realise that I'm probably in the minorit here, but I've never tried cow tongue. I mean, how would you make it, grill it with some bullseye sauce?

When I was a kid, my mom would bake it in the oven, peel it & slice it, sometimes she'd boil it. We'd usually have it with mashed potatoes & gravy, but the leftover tongue would be sliced for sandwiches.
Regards, GF.

I haven't tried it, but I've seen a couple delis that just serve it as lunch meat on a sandwich.

Uni is...
Interesting. It's not bad, a little sweet & extremely creamy in texture. I like the flavour, but the texture isn't my fav. It's definitely worth trying at least once though, just to see if you like it. My Fav is Ikura (salmon roe), I could eat a bowl of it with a spoon.
Regards, GF.

Boil or corn it, I don't think you would get god results on a grill.
I would say I have only seen it served as sandwiches.
Drainbramage you owe it to yourself to give it a try if it's right in front of you, it's delicious!

Drainbramage you owe it to yourself to give it a try if it's right in front of you, it's delicious!

If you're ever in an authentic Mexican restaurant, try some lengua tacos. They will slow braise the tongue, delicious. The flavor and texture are unique.

I made some authentic lengua tacos last weekend. I picked up a half cow from a farmer friend and it came with the tongue. Not hard to prepare and very tasty. Make sure you peel the membrane off the tongue after cooking and before shredding.

1408625454525.jpg

I made some authentic lengua tacos last weekend. I picked up a half cow from a farmer friend and it came with the tongue. Not hard to prepare and very tasty. Make sure you peel the membrane off the tongue after cooking and before shredding.

Nice...I'll say that tongue doesn't sound appetizing, but I tried a cabeza torta at a little burrito shop here in Tucson - SO FRIGGIN GOOD...I called the restaurant to find out for sure - yes, their cabeza has a bit of everything from the "head meat". Your pic makes me want to give it a try - no way my wife would have anything to do with it, more than likely.

I know, I do!

Those tacos look pretty amazing too.

Uni is...
Interesting. It's not bad, a little sweet & extremely creamy in texture. I like the flavour, but the texture isn't my fav. It's definitely worth trying at least once though, just to see if you like it. My Fav is Ikura (salmon roe), I could eat a bowl of it with a spoon.
Regards, GF.

I like most of the fish and eel I've had, but I don't like roe very much. It tastes too... briny? Like seawater. I'm not a huge fan of that flavor.

I like most of the fish and eel I've had, but I don't like roe very much. It tastes too... briny? Like seawater. I'm not a huge fan of that flavor.

As far as regular caviar goes, ditto; WAY too salty! But ikura isn't to my taste; neither is uni. Uni tastes a bit sweet to me, kind of like tilapia is sweet; different flavour, but the same sort of sweetness. You know, seeing how today is Friday, I think I'll go have some sushi for lunch. Sushi makes me happy. :)
Regards, GF.

I tried pork brains this weekend. Didn't taste like much, but the texture was a bit off-putting. It probably would have been better if served with something.

I tried pork brains this weekend. Didn't taste like much, but the texture was a bit off-putting. It probably would have been better if served with something.

Apparently, fried beef brain sandwiches are a St. Louis thing, but I've lived here for 4 years and not had one. I keep trying to get the wife to go to somewhere that serves it. Maybe one day.

The image from Wikipedia makes it look decent:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408901519.640690.jpg

lots of mediterranean peeps love lamb brains, from greece, lebanon, through north africa they are a bit of a delicacy, as far as i gather. i was visiting friends for easter in greece waaaay back when, roasting the whole lamb over charcoal all day in the typical greek way, on one skewer is the lamb and on the other they stick all the organs and then wrap the intestines around to keep them all on there, and that's the snack while you're cooking. i ate that quite (offally?) happily but just chickened out of the brains, on a hugely full stomach after a day of gorging i couldn't get it into my mouth. would love to go back and try it.

Used to be a fairly common item on the breakfast menu. Calves brains & scrambled eggs (all mixed together). At least it was common in the midwestern USA. I can remember seeing it on restaurant & truckstop "greasy spoon" menus. Seems like it was on its' way out even before BSE/CWD became an issue; now I think it's banned in some states.
Regards, GF.

i was visiting friends for easter in greece waaaay back when, roasting the whole lamb over charcoal all day in the typical greek way, on one skewer is the lamb and on the other they stick all the organs

Yeah, this was at a pig roast, so pretty much the same situation. The brains had been scooped out into a tray. There weren't any chips handy, so I just scooped some up with a crispy piece of skin and ate it that way. A little BBQ sauce probably would've helped.

Used to be a fairly common item on the breakfast menu. Calves brains & scrambled eggs (all mixed together).

Another friend of mine whose family raises beef cattle has fixed it this way. He says you can't tell the difference between the eggs and the brains.

Back