One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've eaten a lot of unusual foods here in China as well. Dog, rabbit, ...

Had a friend in college named Lee who was from Taiwan. Besides being a brilliant hacker/programmer, Lee was an extremely serious guy and not disposed to joking around much. Once, a bunch of us were sitting around a 50lb bag of rice in my friend Mike's apartment lamenting that we had nothing else to eat, and talking about the things that "could" go with the rice.
(in many starving students' apartments it was common to have a huge bag of rice and a rice steamer as some of the few pieces of "furniture" in the place.)
... as the conversation turned to odd things to eat, the idea of eating dog was mentioned. In his calm, measured way Lee said he had eaten dog ... someone then asked him what it tasted like and he thought for a moment, and in total seriousness replied "it tastes much like cat". We all cracked up. Lee was not amused.

I have no desire to try either of them.

Had a friend in college named Lee who was from Taiwan. Besides being a brilliant hacker/programmer, Lee was an extremely serious guy and not disposed to joking around much. Once, a bunch of us were sitting around a 50lb bag of rice in my friend Mike's apartment lamenting that we had nothing else to eat, and talking about the things that "could" go with the rice.
(in many starving students' apartments it was common to have a huge bag of rice and a rice steamer as some of the few pieces of "furniture" in the place.)
... as the conversation turned to odd things to eat, the idea of eating dog was mentioned. In his calm, measured way Lee said he had eaten dog ... someone then asked him what it tasted like and he thought for a moment, and in total seriousness replied "it tastes much like cat". We all cracked up. Lee was not amused.

I have no desire to try either of them.

Love the story and wish I had eaten cat so I could assess the comparison. I personally wouldn't expect them to taste similar, though. If I haven't shared it before, dog's very close in flavor and texture to mutton and is usually prepared in the same ways, often a stew with some dried chilies, garlic, ginger, star anise, lots of carrot and Chinese onion (not the root but the thick stalk), and probably a bunch of other spices and stuff.

Love the story and wish I had eaten cat so I could assess the comparison. I personally wouldn't expect them to taste similar, though. If I haven't shared it before, dog's very close in flavor and texture to mutton and is usually prepared in the same ways, often a stew with some dried chilies, garlic, ginger, star anise, lots of carrot and Chinese onion (not the root but the thick stalk), and probably a bunch of other spices and stuff.

I've never eaten dog, so I can't compare anything to it; but I've eaten cat & in my experience it depends on the cat. The cougar meat I ate was pretty good, not too different in flavour from pork & similar to beef in texture & appearance when cooked.

The bobcat I tried was FOUL, FOUL, FOUL! Bitter & nasty! I've heard it can be good, but honestly, IMHO, there is nothing you could do to cover up that nastiness. The only thing I can compare it to is a weird amalgamation of bitter, raw bird innards, with sort of a just starting to rot, dead thing smell.
I'd eat cougar again though, it was tasty.

BTW, here's the link to the fried tarantula vid:
http://www.kpax.com/player/?video_id=43162
I don't appear on camera, but I did eat a fried tarantula leg segment.
Regards, GF.

i've had it loads of times, so it doesn't really count, but as it's been mentioned so many times, and this one snuck into my carryon on my way out of edinburgh, here's one of these elusive little guys!

WP_20140425_001.jpg

So a few weeks ago I brought my inlaws to one of my favorite restaurants in Astoria, Pachanga Patterson. I got the bone marrow (natch) and my mother in law zeroes in on the empanadas.

"James, whats this ingredient... huit, hwit."

"Huitlacoche?... wow thats exciting, I've never had it before.... if you order it I would love to try a bite!"

"But what is it?" She narrows her eyes at me, knowing me a bit too well.

"Its... a mushroom that grows with corn." I am so evil. I didnt lie, exactly... but nor did I say "oh, its corn smut! Its a fungus that infects an ear of corn's very soul!"

She LOVED it... and the bite I had was to die for.

Woot.

i've had it loads of times, so it doesn't really count, but as it's been mentioned so many times, and this one snuck into my carryon on my way out of edinburgh, here's one of these elusive little guys!

mmm.. inverted microwave haggis lump

"Huitlacoche?... wow thats exciting, I've never had it before.... if you order it I would love to try a bite!"

"But what is it?" She narrows her eyes at me, knowing me a bit too well.

"Its... a mushroom that grows with corn." I am so evil. I didnt lie, exactly... but nor did I say "oh, its corn smut! Its a fungus that infects an ear of corn's very soul!"

surreptitious!!

So a few weeks ago I brought my inlaws to one of my favorite restaurants in Astoria, Pachanga Patterson.

I had to look up their menu online. Good thing I don't live close! I always order the strangest thing on the menu, then work my way down. I usually won't order the same thing twice unless I have tried everything else. I am having a hard time figuring out where to start with that menu! I guess I'd just have to try them all in order...

I'm really not sure ? Everything that has come up I have at least tasted from chocolate covered ant to duck fetus eggs to live squid. I haven't really tried the Canadian road kill scene. I could hunker down on a squirrel or a mashed skunk maybe?

haggis part two. including preparation advice! wrap in tin foil. into a tray of hot water so the water comes ~1/2 way up the delicious ball of entrails, into a medium (150-180c) oven, 2-4 hours depending on the size of your sheep's stomach stuffed with beef fat, sheeps lungs and heart, oats. then, once it's hot through, unwrap halfway and let the top brown up a bit. careful as it may explode at this point, mine slipped off one of the clips allowing the stuffing to creep out. serve with neeps & tatties (mashed turnips or swede/rutabaga and mashed potatoes) or in my case creamy mashed celeriac and mashed potatoes, a whisky sauce is nice (cream, mustard, whisky, salt, white pepper, brought briefly to a simmer), or even just a splash of whisky over the top. recite robert burns' ode to a haggis in your worst scots, and plunge the knife in at the right moment.

BSC_0454.jpg

BSC_0462.jpg

BSC_0464.jpg

BSC_0466.jpg

The haggis pics remind me a bit of kishka, which I absolutely love ... the buckwheat/barley/groats type ... rather than the matzo type.
Kishka is easily one of my very favorite breakfast foods, kishka is one of those smells coming from the kitchen in the morning that, along with coffee brewing and bacon frying, is legend. I'd eat a whole ring of it myself if given the opportunity. "Who Stole the Kishka?" indeed.

images

polish-kishka-recipe-5414.jpg

images

Why doesn't my store have pre made haggis in the freezer? I'd be all over that!
The kishka looks good too, I may have to try the polish market to see what I can find.

The haggis pics remind me a bit of kishka, which I absolutely love ... the buckwheat/barley/groats type ... rather than the matzo type.
Kishka is easily one of my very favorite breakfast foods, kishka is one of those smells coming from the kitchen in the morning that, along with coffee brewing and bacon frying, is legend. I'd eat a whole ring of it myself if given the opportunity. "Who Stole the Kishka?" indeed.

images

polish-kishka-recipe-5414.jpg

images

Those kishka pics look good enough to eat. I'm wondering what the side is in the last pic. Looks like it could be taters or maybe apples/pears? Seems like either would be a tasty accompaniment to the kishka. Now I have to figure out where I can get some!
Regards, GF.

Man, would I LOVE to take a culinary tour of the world; excluding those unstable/war-torn places & places that wouldn't welcome Americans, of course.

... I'm wondering what the side is in the last pic. Looks like it could be taters or maybe apples/pears? ...

I went back to the site where the pic was located ... it's fried potatoes and onions. Sounds good to me but I think I'd have mine with some hot German potato salad ... the type made with vinegar & bacon dressing with scallions and served hot. That and a side of either sauerkraut or Polish kapusta (bigos).
Time for lunch.

I've never tried kishka (kishke?), looks like the closest place for me to get it is Columbia Falls; maybe I can make a run up there when I head up to the flathead for cherries this summer.
Regards, GF.

Is kishka kind of like goetta?

Yep, er, yah.

Because when I was growing up my family were Germans right off the boat, we called kishka, “Grützwurst” ... tho most Americans are more familiar with it being called kishka (sometimes Kaszanka) . So unless you know a German butcher, the Polish version “kishka” is what you might find most commonly available.

Yes, goetta and grutzwurst are very similar, and both German, but whereas goetta is made with oats. the general recipe for Grutzwurst is traditionally made with buckwheat (sometimes barley) and also pork, blood, liver, onion, pepper and herbs, and is in a casing.

For what it’s worth ... the “gotte” in goetta and the “grutz” in Grützwurst are from the same word ... just one is low German (gotte) and one is high German (grütz) ... cousins.

Most of my family were East Prussians (ze only “true” Germans, according to my grandmother) ... these were the old “royal” Germans. We were mostly from the Baltic Sea area in Northern Germany, particularly around Konigsberg. I had a very Prussian Great Uncle that called grützwurst “Tote Oma” ... or “Dead Grandma” a common name with ze old folks for grützwurst in some northeast parts of Germany. Some sort of archaic, morbid German humor. Can I get a bon appetit?

There's an old German guy in Cleveland that has a sausage shop that also sells at West Side Market on 25th. He has all manner of German meats. Have to see if he has that stuff. My family's from Upper Bavaria. My ancestor's grandpa was some kind of warlord or other. He got what is now 3 counties of land deeded to my ancestor in Corley,WV. Gotta get into more German foods. I have a cookbook from Luecho's in NYC dated 1951 that's all real German recipes.

I'm a Louisiana boy, so I'm not picky. We'll make a feast out of something we caught in a ditch on the side of the highway. There are a few foods I'd like to try. Morels, Kobe beef and a few others. As far as "exotic" foods, I've had rabbit, squirrel, beaver, coon, bear, several kinds of ducks & geese, coot, rattlesnake, turtle, coonass caviar (fried crappie eggs), bear, moose, deer, elk, pronghorn, ostrich & God knows what else that I've forgotten about. I don't eat this stuff because it's exotic, I eat it because it's damn good food.
On a side note, what's the difference in a Louisiana zoo and a zoo anywhere else?
Most zoos have a pic and description in front of the animal's cage. Louisiana zoos have the same pic and description along with a recipe😃

I just heard about a rotted and dried shark from Iceland that smells so heavily of ammonia that people have to hold their nose when they take a bite to prevent gagging. That sounds interesting...

Yeah, even Andrew Zimmern had problems with it on Bizaare Foods, he had it in Iceland and it was called Hákarl.

I'm a Louisiana boy, so I'm not picky. We'll make a feast out of something we caught in a ditch on the side of the highway. There are a few foods I'd like to try. Morels, Kobe beef and a few others. As far as "exotic" foods, I've had rabbit, squirrel, beaver, coon, bear, several kinds of ducks & geese, coot, rattlesnake, turtle, coonass caviar (fried crappie eggs), bear, moose, deer, elk, pronghorn, ostrich & God knows what else that I've forgotten about. I don't eat this stuff because it's exotic, I eat it because it's damn good food.
On a side note, what's the difference in a Louisiana zoo and a zoo anywhere else?
Most zoos have a pic and description in front of the animal's cage. Louisiana zoos have the same pic and description along with a recipe😃

Had most of those other the coot and the caviar. I will also add giraffe, Buffalo (American and Cape), Hart Beast and Thompson Gazelle.

I would like to try whale and abalone.

Yeah, even Andrew Zimmern had problems with it on Bizaare Foods, he had it in Iceland and it was called Hákarl.

I believe I saw that too. Didn't they have open shed like buildings for hanging/drying the rotted meat? And they had to be kept so many kilometers from the city due to the stink? I'll try almost anything once and go back for more of most of the time, but I think I'd have a problem getting that down. Weird food is fine. Old, rotted "food" is not.

Or as we call em swamp chickens or poule d'eau. They make damn good gumbo & the gizzards are great in dirty rice.
As far as the fermented shark, I'd try it. It's not poisonous.
A few things came to mind that I'd like to try. Osetra caviar, smoked sturgeon, most African plains game, Sandhill crane and of course a big mug of rauchbier with a plate of schweinshaxe in Germany😃.

on the same page as the icelandic shark is the swedish fermented canned herring called surströmming. never had it, never will... have heard it's illegal to bring on planes as if it explodes in the low pressure everyone will puke.
love this video...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back