One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right. The reason US companies wash their eggs is because many of them refuse to spend the extra money to vaccinate the hens against salmonella. Washing and refrigerating the eggs is apparently a cheaper solution than vaccination, therefore it's all about money.

Salmonella vaccinations for hens is common practice in EU countries. Since that practice began, there has been approx. 87.5% decrease in salmonella related food poisoning.

It's a shame, though, that in the US you can't buy what is widely regarded as the best cheese in the world, simply because it's made from unpasteurised milk: Brie de Meaux. Most of you have never had Brie de Meaux. Are you curious? ;-)

You can make any cheese from pasteurized milk. Also, cheeses made from unpasteurized milk are made and imported into the US. They need to be 60 days old to be salable.

Id really like to play around with it in my kitchen. I know the wife would hate the idea, so I would have to wait until my chef friend came over I think.

Yeah, my wife just gave me that "seriously?" look when I told her what it was (I'm used to it at this point). I dunno, it has potential for experimentation.

I want to try both llama and guinea pig. Hopefully will get at least one of those before the end of the year.

You can make any cheese from pasteurized milk. Also, cheeses made from unpasteurized milk are made and imported into the US. They need to be 60 days old to be salable.

You can not buy Brie de Meaux in the USA. It will spoil in 60 days, it's normally sold at 35-40 days old. And the natural bacteria is a core component of real brie cheese. You can make it with pasteurised milk, but you can not morally call it brie - it's just blasphemy, it might look like brie but it definitely won't taste like brie.

There is a US company called Anco who are very good liars. They registered the term "Brie de Meaux" as a trademark and so they label their fake cheese with it. The French government have an appelation d'origine for Brie de Meaux, but apparently this means nothing in the US.

Speaking of wierd import laws, I also believe that the most popular finnish candy (salmiakki) is banned from import to the US.

oysters...never had one and a bit hesitant to. Even with a oyster bar just 2 miles away.

oysters...never had one and a bit hesitant to. Even with a oyster bar just 2 miles away.

Just so long as you have a reasonable expectation/assurance of freshness, I would give them a try. The small ones are less scary, and in my opinion are often the tastiest.

If you're intimidated, start with fried/cooked oysters then work your way up to raw.

Oh I have had fried and even have a great recipe for oyster soup that calls for canned oysters. I guess I should have specified raw on the half shell

start small with oysters, definitely. the larger they are the higher the chance of gagging on them, and then you'll never go back (i'm talking raw oysters here). they are so weird, if you like them they are so tasty, metallic, minerally, surreal almost, and the texture is silky, but the whole thing can go from sublime to gagging disgusting in a femtosecond if they linger too long in your mouth or if they are just a bit too big and you hesitate halfway. it's fun to go to an oyster bar and try different varieties (if i remember there are a few different species? not gonna google it) from different locations. fresh is definitely the best, but they actually keep very well for days if they are packed on ice and dealt with carefully. they are designed to survive low tide and can seal up incredibly well. my personal favorite is with a small drizzle of minced shallots in red wine vinegar, nothing else.

Go with a friend who likes, or better yet, LOVES oysters & knows a little about them. Have a few drinks at the bar before you try the oysters, then order a sampler if they have one. That way you're loosened up a little, so you can put those inhibitions aside for a bit & enjoy those succulent morsels of tasty goodness from the sea. I like 'em either plain or with a bit of lemon juice & nothing else. Lots of people like 'em with tobasco or seafood sauce or some other sort of sauce; I always thought those were covering up the taste of the oysters. Bon appetite!
Regards, GF.

I found some frozen, ground emu at the store & decided to try it. I bought 2 lbs of it, 1 lb will have nothing added to it so I can taste the unadulterated flavor of the meat; the other I'd like to do something with, just not sure what yet. Seems like somebody here (maybe Revvy?) had some emu meat a while back, but I don't remember hearing how it turned out. So any of you adventurous foodies have an emu recipe or tips you'd care to share?
Regards, GF.

emu2.jpg

I found some frozen, ground emu at the store & decided to try it. I bought 2 lbs of it, 1 lb will have nothing added to it so I can taste the unadulterated flavor of the meat; the other I'd like to do something with, just not sure what yet. Seems like somebody here (maybe Revvy?) had some emu meat a while back, but I don't remember hearing how it turned out. So any of you adventurous foodies have an emu recipe or tips you'd care to share?
Regards, GF.

I've had ostrich burgers, and they were excellent. I'd imagine this would work the same way, but it's so lean that you probably need to be careful not to dry it out while cooking.

Regards, GF.

Im thinking a burger with a lot of additional unctuous ingredients (Im thinking foi or pate or even just working in butter and bleu cheese). Ostrich is so lean it calls for a little larding. And maybe make it spicy too... this could be interesting.

Regards, GF.

Please report back, Creamy's ideas sound great!

Durian fruit.

Every time I've eaten it, the majority is very creamy (somewhere between whipped cream and cream cheese) and has a muted and kind've boring flavor like a way-mellowed-out version of the smell, but there's also a part that's got a bit more body to it that combines the creamy part's flavor with a bit of sour tang, and that part's quite good. Durian pizza and other unusual uses of durian are starting to become niche-popular here in central China, but I've never had anything but (semi-)fresh durian, dried durian chips, and durian candy, so I can't comment on them.

Pretty much any animal that's not typical. Got to eat them all! ...and gain their power haha.

Deer, snake, shark, bear, buffalo, emu, tiger, bald eagle, etc...

Real BBQ from Texas.

Long drive from CA, but maybe one day it'll be part of the epic family vacation. The stuff is supposed to be legendary.

Real BBQ from Texas.

Long drive from CA, but maybe one day it'll be part of the epic family vacation. The stuff is supposed to be legendary.

Meh. Most commercial examples are about the same wherever you go. Terrible dry meat and covered in sauce. There's good places as well (both expensive hip places and your hole-in-the-walls) but be aware most BBQ in the south is just as boring as the rest of the country.

View attachment 305248Chinese street food. Some day we want to take a foody trip to China.......

Mmm, that's shāokǎo - translates simply to barbecue. Always delicious, almost always leads to a bout of the runs within the next 24 hours. Although I wouldn't recommend it as a tourist destination for anything else, Wuhan has some of the best food in China, street food not excepted. Where a lot of other cities pride themselves in being fairly locally pure (Shanghainese are particular ******** about wàidìrén - non-locals), Wuhan is a major melting pot of Chinese culture thanks to its relatively central location, importance to national shipping, and high proportion of universities. The result is that Wuhan has cuisine and street food from all over the country all in one place.

If you want to make your own shāokǎo at home, get your meats and veggies, cut the (preferably a bit fatty) meats into small chunks, the root veggies into thin slices, and skewer everything. Swipe it with vegetable oil, grill over natural charcoal with no lid, turning as often as necessary (meat skewers in particular are best off grilled en masse, not individually), and sprinkle liberally with cumin and chili powder, as well as MSG if you dare.

Really good texas bbq would be great, bit far of a swim to the US though ;D

Real vietnamese pho would be nice to try, to see if it is overhyped or really that good.

I've tried many asian foods thanks to friends from those countries, but even they admit that without the right local ingredients, it's not quite the same.

Real vietnamese pho would be nice to try, to see if it is overhyped or really that good.

I've tried many asian foods thanks to friends from those countries, but even they admit that without the right local ingredients, it's not quite the same.

If you like beef, Texas is the way to go. If you like pork, look to Tennessee or North Carolina (yes, I am a bit biased) for good pork BBQ.

I imagine some could be shipped overseas if there was a dry-ice pack involved. If you want recipes for NC style BBQ, feel free to ask!

If you like beef, Texas is the way to go. If you like pork, look to Tennessee or North Carolina (yes, I am a bit biased) for good pork BBQ.

I imagine some could be shipped overseas if there was a dry-ice pack involved. If you want recipes for NC style BBQ, feel free to ask!

Confession: World-class and gas-station-class barbecue taste pretty much the same to me. A nice place tends to have better and more-innovative barbecue sauces, better breads if you're getting something sandwich style, and way better sides. The meat is probably worlds apart if your palate is tuned to barbecue, but to a rookie like me it basically all tastes like meat slathered in barbecue sauce.

Confession: World-class and gas-station-class barbecue taste pretty much the same to me. A nice place tends to have better and more-innovative barbecue sauces, better breads if you're getting something sandwich style, and way better sides. The meat is probably worlds apart if your palate is tuned to barbecue, but to a rookie like me it basically all tastes like meat slathered in barbecue sauce.

The texture is the trickiest part. You don't want the meat too dry or tough, but you also don't want to go the opposite direction and get an amorphous blob of BBQ-flavored stuff, like those plastic tubs of BBQ you find in the frozen food section. (That junk makes me cry)

Good BBQ should be tender, but with still enough consistency to be recognizable as meat. Some crispy bits from around the outside are appropriate too, especially on brisket.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

The texture is the trickiest part. You don't want the meat too dry or tough, but you also don't want to go the opposite direction and get an amorphous blob of BBQ-flavored stuff, like those plastic tubs of BBQ you find in the frozen food section. (That junk makes me cry)

Good BBQ should be tender, but with still enough consistency to be recognizable as meat. Some crispy bits from around the outside are appropriate too, especially on brisket.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

This. I'm so spoiled when it comes to good brisket I won't even order the chopped sandwich at most places, even though it's usually half the price. There's a place downtown where you order straight off the pit, and they have free beans and bread. 1/2 lb of brisket, or pork loin and a drink for like $10. Heavenly.

I've eaten most animals and vegetables that I'd even consider to be food. Real Japanese sushi and sashimi might be the only thing on my stomach's bucket list.

I like sushi with a wheat ale or the like. Wouldn't want it everyday, but it's better than you'd think. But I'd rather have pit bbq!...:rockin:

When I was in Paris a few months ago, my Fiance's professor took us to the asian section of the city. There was a Pho restaurant, called Pho 18 I think? OH MY GOD. It was amazing. I cannot even begin to describe how awesome it was.

Fortunately, there is a great Pho place semi-close to me (2.5 hours away) Savannah, GA. If you are there, be sure to check out the Flying Monk Noodle Bar. Their Pho is great, not quite as good as Paris, but still great.

If you are ever near Atlanta, Johns Creek and Buford Highway have some of the BEST Asian restaurants outside of Asia.

I've tried to make pho a couple times at home. The 1st time had too much coriander in the broth but the 2nd was decent. It's a pretty time consuming process. Well, maybe not compared to brewing.

I'd like to try haggis. I don't think I'll like it, but I'll try it.

I'd like to give a list of things I've eaten that the average white folk probably has not.

Kangaroo meat (friend's bday, obtained from a quebec butcher shop)
Raw caribou
Raw Walrus
Raw seal
Raw whale blubber (muktuk)
Clams from a walrus stomach (digestive system cooks it)

The raw foods I grew up on. I find it tastes better that way, rather than cooking it.

Venari wins the Internet Savage award. Weirdest thing I ever tried were rattle snake and RM oysters....yuck x 2

Always wanted to try whale meat.

Never had geoduck; king of the clams. Not sure how to prepare it. See it the supermarket all the time.

MAC30_GEODUCK01.jpg

Kangaroo and emu are excellent and meh respectively.

Young kangaroo fillets are really good rare. Emu is saussage-meat in my mind.

Australian_Coat_of_Arms.png

Haggis is delicious. No doubt about it. Lots of takes on that though so it depends on the Haggis.

Back