On forum etiquette and "Likes."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TLDR but it seems the topic has drifted. Let's try and re-direct this.

I am divided on the like system on the forum. Seems a little one sided without a dislike button. As it is, the advantages are that a quick like can save a member from needing to type an "I agree" or "+1" post that might risk cluttering up things. If a reply has 25 likes on it and the reader just googled their way to the post, they can easily tell that whatever was said in that post is respected by other members and likely to be accurate.

I frequented a different forum that had a user reputation system. Liking and disliking on posts would influence a rep bar near the avatar. This can quickly identify how much a user is respected in the community. How much +/- rep a like or dislike gave depended on how much the giver had. If someone with awesome rep gave a like, it would be an order of magnitude more rep-giving than a noob. Unfortunately respected =/= knowledgeable. While someone could rack up a "He's the man!" status on rep in one forum let's say beer brewing here, they could give advice into the sake forum. While they'd have high rep they could also be posting perhaps with no knowledge of process at all. This could yield several quick dislikes and suddenly damage the mis-informed advice giver's rep. Comes down to rating a user vs the exact post. Also a somewhat flawed system to work with.

As far as myself, I try to give things that will have people liking just so that I know I'm helping out. If I spend a half hour to detail out some process in exquisite detail, it's a little heart breaking to see what can be interpreted as being unappreciated. Other times I'll make a joke in one of the less serious threads just to make someone smile and not really care how that turns out.

As a way of thanking someone for advice, maybe a separate "Thank you" button would be the way to go. I'll bet it would be used more, and cut down on clutter in the threads. And the person giving the advice would see that it was appreciated.

And @Austin is out there reading this thread, thinking, "let's see, they only want a Dislike button, a Thanks button, and a :turtle:. Anything else? ****." :D

Please delete! ;)

Why you haters want to shut a thread down? If you don't like it here, don't click to come here!

I know... crazy idea, right? But it just might work!

:cross:

Fixed it. forgot the winky thing. (I know, my humor can be a bit to subtle and weird...)

:mug:

I get it.

XuKKapib.jpg

I would think the implications of starting a sentence with the word "well" would be the same as "so".

IOW, it was a joke. That's OK, no one gets my humour but me anyway, so I knew it would only be funny to me.

:)

I got it. I just couldn't resist a "well actually..." joke, which also may have been poorly-executed. :D

FTFY.

Is starting a post with "well" allowed, or is it only when followed by "actually..."?

Actually the rules are that if you are not quite sure then you start a post with so if it's a deep subject then the post starts with well however actually is used only if its substantiated by double blind experiments and correlational research and well actually probably has confounding variables but close enough for government standards.

well I think that's right so what was actually the question again?:drunk:

Last edited:
Giving a "like" to something that has helped you, or something you think is creative or funny, is an easy way to show appreciation, for sure. I know I lurked around for a while before I started to post things just because I didn't think I had enough experience to really add anything to a conversation or question. Then I realized that there are many ways to brew and everyone brews for different reasons. My own techniques and processes work for me and may become helpful tidbits to others. I help others because others have helped me and paying that forward is a good thing to do. If I don't get a "like" or a "thank you" then that's fine. I'm helping others because it's what this forum is for and it's how this forum stays alive.

I think it's important to understand that not only are a lot of us ignorant some things, like I just learned right now that I can "like" replies even though I've been darting in and out of here for advice for a couple years now... some of us simply don't notice features that are not painfully obvious to us. That's probably why I never knew I could like a reply, I wasn't focused on anything but the information I requested, and I always felt like a heart felt "Thank you so much!" was enough.

Dang it! I've just noticed that I've given more than twice as many likes as I've received. Now it looks like I like people more than they like me. How pathetic. And to make matters worse, now everyone is going to think I'm trying to get likes with this post, but I won't get any and...dang it!

I' ll like you because I'm a like whore just like you:mug:

Back