On forum etiquette and "Likes."

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Let me preface this post by stating right up front that I never expect "likes" on my posts, nor do I care how many "likes" I have overall, or my "posts/likes received/likes given out" ratios. That said, I have a question about forum etiquette.

If someone (usually a newcomer) asks a question, and you post a long, detailed response that directly answers their question, do you think it is good etiquette to expect the asker to "like" your post, as a show of appreciation and gratitude for taking the time to answer them?

I confess that I sometimes feel a little jilted when someone posts a question, and I post a long, multi-paragraph response, and they come back with a "Thanks!", but no "like." I feel like if I helped them, the least they could do is show appreciation with a "like." Is that a reasonable expectation, or am I being overly sensitive?

You are allowed to feel exactly how you want to feel.

I try to remember that there are usually many reasonable ways to do something in brewing. I know people who tie their shoelaces differently than I do, so I don't expect everyone to brew the same way.

For a noob, sometimes a long response is confusing, no matter how organized and simple we try to make it. They also likely get a few responses that may seem to contradict each other. And they may not know which one will work best for them.

So they don't know to thank each person.

Or they may not know to thank anyone at all. Simply out of ignorance.

2mw731y.jpg

I got you.

A couple of questions for the forum admins (@Austin ? @Homercidal ?): Is there a limit to the number of likes a user can issue in a given period? Would it be possible for someone to just go around, "like"-ing every post they come across willy-nilly? Or will they run out eventually? Do they mean anything, in terms of your user level? Like, once you've reached 1,000 likes, you get a free year's subscription, or access to a secret area of the forums, or a free HBT growler (I hear there are crates of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere)?

You say you never expect likes, but then wonder if you are being too sensitive because you expected likes and didn't get them.

Sounds like you need to make up your mind!

"The least they could do it show a little appreciation with a like." But they replied to you directly to say "Thanks"... is that not good enough?? :)

Uh...looks like you've used it four times so far?...:D It's when you totally, or mostly agree with what was said in a given reply. It's easier to hit the like button then get into a lengthy reply.

I've mis-clicked and hit it on accident. Does a post or thread that has more "Likes" return higher in search results? I doubt it as the search functionality on the site sucks. I don't get it. But I'm not on facebook so I'm probably missing something bigger.

Can we just randomly traipse through the forum clicking like everywhere we go?
Can we all just post 'thanks' and become post whores?

Can't we all just get along.

Sometimes I will 'like' a post when I don't think I will add meaningful content by replying. If someone goes out of their way to help me out I'll either send a message off forum (and 'like' their post) or something similar.

I've mis-clicked and hit it on accident. Does a post or thread that has more "Likes" return higher in search results? I doubt it as the search functionality on the site sucks. I don't get it. But I'm not on facebook so I'm probably missing something bigger.

That's enough negativity out of you!

Mis-clicked? Really? There's nothing else remotely near the 'like' button, how bad is your aim?

The search functionality only sucks if you don't know how to search, in which case, a simple search in google more often than not points you to a HBT thread anyway.

That's enough negativity out of you!

Mis-clicked? Really? There's nothing else remotely near the 'like' button, how bad is your aim?

The search functionality only sucks if you don't know how to search, in which case, a simple search in google more often than not points you to a HBT thread anyway.

My laptop trackpad sometimes "clicks" when you are using it to move the cursor arrow around. Not just bad aiming on my part.

HBT is like a digital pub I reckon.

Crack a joke, make a funny and you'll get a laugh if it's any good. HBT you might get a like.

Someone asks a question, you give an answer, it's normal and only human nature to anticipate some form of response. I think manners are important. If someone takes time to help me out or explain something in thread to my benefit or someone else's benefit. Good on ya mate!....like

How do I do x, what do you think about y?

Here's what I think....hopefully it's not a bunch of nonsense.

Oh OK, cheers thanks.. (short hand like)

Without interactions were just talking in a vacuum.

BTW, the like button is just below this post and looks like a thumbTry it out. Fun times.:D

Giving a :goat: That's a whole other level and to be restricted to experienced users of the site lest the server crash.

HBT is like a digital pub I reckon.

Crack a joke, make a funny and you'll get a laugh if it's any good. HBT you might get a like.

Someone asks a question, you give an answer, it's normal and only human nature to anticipate some form of response. I think manners are important. If someone takes time to help me out or explain something in thread to my benefit or someone else's benefit. Good on ya mate!....like

How do I do x, what do you think about y?

Here's what I think....hopefully it's not a bunch of nonsense.

Oh OK, cheers thanks.. (short hand like)

Without interactions were just talking in a vacuum.

BTW, the like button is just below this post and looks like a thumbTry it out. Fun times.:D

Giving a :goat: That's a whole other level and to be restricted to experienced users of the site lest the server crash.

Here's how I like posts.

I like this post.

Let me preface this post by stating right up front that I never expect "likes" on my posts, nor do I care how many "likes" I have overall, or my "posts/likes received/likes given out" ratios. That said, I have a question about forum etiquette.

If someone (usually a newcomer) asks a question, and you post a long, detailed response that directly answers their question, do you think it is good etiquette to expect the asker to "like" your post, as a show of appreciation and gratitude for taking the time to answer them?

I confess that I sometimes feel a little jilted when someone posts a question, and I post a long, multi-paragraph response, and they come back with a "Thanks!", but no "like." I feel like if I helped them, the least they could do is show appreciation with a "like." Is that a reasonable expectation, or am I being overly sensitive?

Kombat. I too mis-clicked and want to now disavow any and all association with my above like to your OP.

Is there a limit to the number of likes a user can issue in a given period? Would it be possible for someone to just go around, "like"-ing every post they come across willy-nilly? Or will they run out eventually?

I'm a like-button slut. I give 'em out like candy. My "Likes Given" tally is a testament to that fact.

I find it's easier to press the "thumb up" button than it is to reply back with "thanks" or "I agree" or "haha I found your post amusing". Without it my post count would be nearly twice as high.

If there's a limit, I haven't found it.

Do they mean anything, in terms of your user level? Like, once you've reached 1,000 likes, you get a free year's subscription, or access to a secret area of the forums, or a free HBT growler (I hear there are crates of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere)?

Well, it's definitely not 1000, or 3000. I can say that much.

Back