On California for the 1st time: what beers must I try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafaelpinto

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A couple days ago I started the thread "Craft Beer freak on California for the first time. What must I do?". People gave very good tips and now I have lots of bars to visit.

Now I want to know what individual beers are musts.
What are your top widely available californian craft beers?

Of course those beers would have to be easily found on Los Angeles or San Francisco, which are the cities I will visit (unfortunately had to take off San Diego in order to make room for one day on Monterey and a 2-day-trip on the Yosemite Valley).

What would you guys point? :mug:

Thanks a bunch!

Alesmith should be easy to find, and they never seem to miss on flavor.
The Brury if you like the sours and semi sours.
If you like hoppy, Kneedeep seems to have recently expanded their area, don't know if they've made it South yet.

That's all I can think of pre-coffee. :D

Pliny the Elder
Evil Twin
any Stone "Drink by"
And visit the local microbreweries!'n

Nice, guys!

Anything else?

Breweries
The Brury (I tried some of their beers, pretty good)
Kneedeep (which ones are musts?)
Evil Twin (easily found here in Brazil, so Ill pass)
21st Amendment (which ones are musts?)

Beers
Pliny the Elder (Russian River)
Blind Pig (Russian River)
Row 2 Hill 56 (Russian River)
Stone "Drink by" (Stone Brewing)

Kneedeep (which ones are musts?)

I'm not a hophead, so I've never had any of the more popular ones, :D but I'd suggest Breaking Bud, and Hoptologist. Both should be readily available. Lupulin River is in the local Bevmo, so you might run across that one as well.

If you're going from Monterey to SF or vice-versa, the Santa Cruz area has some fantastic breweries: Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing, Sante Adairius, East Cliff, are my favs. But there is also Discretion, New Bohemia(haven't been yet) and Aleworks. Don't bother with Seabright. Then there is Lúpulo taproom downtown. There's also our lhbs Seven Bridges if you need brewing stuff.

If you're going from Monterey to SF or vice-versa, the Santa Cruz area has some fantastic breweries: Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing, Sante Adairius, East Cliff, are my favs. But there is also Discretion, New Bohemia(haven't been yet) and Aleworks. Don't bother with Seabright. Then there is Lúpulo taproom downtown. There's also our lhbs Seven Bridges if you need brewing stuff.

Wow, thanks! I'll actually be in Monterey for 2 nights.

One doubt: isnt it AlewErks?

Back