Ommegang Hennepin Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used Hennepin cultured from the bottle? I have thus far made 3 starters out of it, and they are firing off spectacularly...the batch I brewed on Thursday night is going at 2 bubbles/sec right now! :rockin:

My other batches are in various states of fermentation, but i was wondering if anyone else did it and how it turned out? It looks to be fermenting well, and if it imparts even the slightest flavor of Hennepin, I'll be happy.

Gotta love the 1 year wait for a response. I cultured some hennepin yeast about a week and a half ago, stepped up the starter a couple times, and pitched about 1.2L of starter on early on Monday morning @ 12:45am. It was bubbling every ~6 seconds by Monday morning @ 6:30am. This afternoon about 5:00pm it blew the airlock clean off. By far the most vigorous start to fermentation I've ever had. Smells pretty good too. I'll post back to let you know how it turned out.

Beerthoven said:
Is the yeast used for bottle conditionig Hennepin the same as that used for fermentation?

I guess I'll find out in about a month :) Dude, we live pretty close, ought to swap some beer sometime. I don't know anyone else who homebrews near me.

gigidogg said:
I guess I'll find out in about a month :) Dude, we live pretty close, ought to swap some beer sometime. I don't know anyone else who homebrews near me.

That would be cool. There are several greater Raleigh/Durham area brewers on HBT. Look in the community events forum for the GRABASS threads. We get together once in a while. There are few others from down-east and toward the coast as well.

Just an update. Day 9 in the primary, started at 1.076 and is down to 1.022. Still bubbling every 20 sec or so and the krausen has dropped considerably. Tasted great at gravity testing. I try to brew styles that befit the season and temps inside my house (read: I don't have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber because SWMBO has me on an equipment expenditure moritorium until June, grrrrr) so it has been fermenting between 65-69F. We'll see what flavors the yeast imparts at these temps.

What recipe are you using? And, definitely keep up with the updates. Ommegang has some fantastic beers, I'd love to hear details on how the yeast reacts.

Recipe roughly based on write-up from BYO.com http://byo.com/recipe/994.html and another recipe that I can't seem to find right now. I increased the grain bill and sugar amounts (substituting table sugar) due to my efficiency ~65%. I also used fresh ginger but decreased to .5g and fresh orange zest. I also screwed up my initial mash temp (supposed to be 122F but was closer to 129F) and my final mash temp (supposed to be 152F but was ~156F). Still trying to figure that one out. Also couldn't get Styrian Goldings, but I had about a half ounce left over from another batch and made up the remainder with E.K. Goldings. Here's the BrewSmith info...

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/17/2008
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Nathan Wright
Boil Size: 6.28 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.02 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.34 %
1.75 oz Styrian and E.K. Goldings [avg 4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 21.6 IBU
0.45 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.50 oz Ginger Root, Fresh (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Fresh (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.75 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 18.64 %
Ommegang Hennepin culture [Starter 1200 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG Measured Final Gravity: ? SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.93 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.59 %
Bitterness: 26.7 IBU Calories: 347 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
Sparge Water: 2.62 gal Grain Temperature: 65.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 60.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Double Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 10.80 qt of water at 133.5 F 122.0 F
30 min Saccrification Add 9.60 qt of water at 192.6 F 152.0 F

It's a nice staw yellow color at this point. I drew the gravity test sample into a graduated cylinder today, let it sit for ~10 minutes and the vast majority of the yeast had settled in that time. Pretty clear for being this young so I guess the flocculation of the yeast is pretty high. I'm guessing I'll rack to secondary this weekend, let it sit for 10-12 days, then keg and gas. The second batch I ever brewed was an extract version of this same recipe and it was pretty good. Used Wyeast 1214 for that batch. I have since transitioned to AG and this is my first attempt using the cultured yeast. Probably won't let it age enough though:cross:

Update:

Gravity readings have apparently stopped at 1.010. OG was 1.076 so the apparent attenuation is 86.8% at this point. Transfered to secondary after 20 days. Of course, the yeast has been washed and is currently resting comfortably in the fridge. Will update again after kegging and carbing.

Just an FYI:

Styrian Goldings is actually Fuggle that is grown in Slovenia.

EKG is Goldings that is grown in East Kent

I'm sure the beer will be great, just so you know it is two completely different hops.

:mug:

You're totally right. I was just using some leftover I had that was close to the same AA. With the quantities involved I don't think it will matter much.

Update:

Pulled first pint about 5 min ago. Half of it is gone:cross:

Taste is really good. Not as much ester as I would have thought, but I did not ferment at high temps (~65-68F). Color is just a shade darker than Hennepin as are most of my clone attempts at pretty much anything. Taste isn't spot on, but I did miss my temps (first half of mash was supposed to be 122F and I was ~8F high, second half was supposed to be 152F and I was ~154F). Anyway, it's still really good and I definately would recommend trying this recipe to anyone who likes belgians. I do plan on brewing it again soon with some higher initial fermentation temps to see what happens.

P.S. A big thanks to Ommegang for making this happen :mug:

gigidogg said:
Update:

Pulled first pint about 5 min ago. Half of it is gone:cross:

Taste is really good. Not as much ester as I would have thought, but I did not ferment at high temps (~65-68F). Color is just a shade darker than Hennepin as are most of my clone attempts at pretty much anything. Taste isn't spot on, but I did miss my temps (first half of mash was supposed to be 122F and I was ~8F high, second half was supposed to be 152F and I was ~154F). Anyway, it's still really good and I definately would recommend trying this recipe to anyone who likes belgians. I do plan on brewing it again soon with some higher initial fermentation temps to see what happens.

P.S. A big thanks to Ommegang for making this happen :mug:
I'll be making an attempt at a Hennepein clone sometime in May. I'll also culture some yeast from a bottle. Maybe when it's bottled we could swap a bottle and compare?

OK so this is a little bit of a thread hijack, and I apologize, but I didn't think this was quite new-thread-worthy.

What do you y'all find special about Ommegang Hennepin?

I don't mean to be a bummer, but I'm drinking it right now, and it's not nearly as "funky" as I thought it was going to be. Saison Dupont, now THERE'S a freakin' dog in a phone booth, but this Hennepin is really pretty clean and neutral..... What gives? Is it really not supposed to be "funky" a la American interpretation?

Is it just because I drank my La Goudale first, and followed it with this? Should I have drank them in reverse order?

The La Goudale was fantastic, by the way, now I really want to brew a Biere De Garde.

Hijack over. Sorry.

My understanding is not that it is supposed to be a funky style or have a funk to it. Saison has different variations, but I don't believe all of them have to be funky. Their Omeggedon is more of a funkhouse ale in the style of a saison.

I don't mean to be a bummer, but I'm drinking it right now, and it's not nearly as "funky" as I thought it was going to be. Saison Dupont, now THERE'S a freakin' dog in a phone booth, but this Hennepin is really pretty clean and neutral..... What gives? Is it really not supposed to be "funky" a la American interpretation?

Neither Hennepin or Saison DuPont are funky beers - as true Saisons are not really supposed to be. Both are fermented with 100% sacch. The WLP565 is DuPont's strain.

OK so this is a little bit of a thread hijack, and I apologize, but I didn't think this was quite new-thread-worthy.

Is it just because I drank my La Goudale first, and followed it with this? Should I have drank them in reverse order?

The La Goudale was fantastic, by the way, now I really want to brew a Biere De Garde.

Hijack over. Sorry.
The Hennepin is definately not a very funky beer. It's has a mild belgian flavor but I do love the taste. As stated Saisons do very quite a bit in flavor, I just happen to really like the Hennepin. Another Belgian style blonde that I just bought and like a lot is the Leffe. That's a more mild belgian but it also has a great all around flavor to me. The nice thing of the Belgians is that they are all over the place on intensity of flavor from mild to very very funky.

The WLP565 is DuPont's strain.

Duly noted, thanks for the tip. I am VERY excited to do a Dupont soon.

Thanks all for the feedback. I guess I misinterpreted the style. I want to be clear that, by no means, am I saying that the Hennepin was *bad*. It was frankly delicious. I just was expecting far more of the wet stable aroma/flavor that I was accustomed to in the S. Dupont..... Saison and Biere De Garde are *both* styles that I am very new to, and I thank you all for the feedback! :D

Also: The La Goudale was very very tasty. I can't WAIT to try the La Divine.

I hear ya. When you said you had funk in the Dupont, I was kind of intrigued. I just had one a month or so ago and found it awesome - but clean. It was dry and spicy and complex, but I didn't get any funk.

After you posted your comments, I went and read the BeerAdvocate reviews and a *lot* of people over there are commenting on the barnyard as well. I just must have gotten a pretty green batch or something!

The 565 is finicky, though. I know a lot of people have trouble with it...I don't know if it actually is the Dupont strain, but that's what's listed in the strain chart on Jamil's page.

I just cultured the dregs off of two bottles of Hennepin and has been sitting in 1.020 wort from light dme. The temp in my cndo is 70 degrees. It's been 1 week and there seems to be a thicker layer of yeast forming on the bottom. Not compacting like other yeast but floating around. When I swirl the mason jar with the lid on tight I get a white head with small bubbles going up the side. I tested the wort two days later and no drop in gravity. I cold crashed it and started to see what appeared to be a fingernail of healthy white yeast settling on top of that thicker floaty looking yeast. Are those thick floaties dead yeast? It seems to be taking a long time for the yeasy to multiply. I haven't seen any small krausen form in the mason jar yet. Should I just wait longer? The carbonation is a sign of fermentation tho right?

I just cultured the dregs from a single bottle of Hennepin. I placed the dregs into about 250mL of 1.030 wort made with light DME. I than stepped up to about 600mL of 1.030 of the same starter wort. I loved the Hennepin so if all goes well I may plate/slant and save this culture in the bank.

2kTmgGW.jpg

I have it sitting in the fridge right now to settle out and see if I need to step up before brew day. I am currently planning on a Belgian Pale Ale and am wondering at about what temperature should I be fermenting with this yeast? I heard that Ommegang ferments at around 76.

I just cultured the dregs from a single bottle of Hennepin. I placed the dregs into about 250mL of 1.030 wort made with light DME. I than stepped up to about 600mL of 1.030 of the same starter wort. I loved the Hennepin so if all goes well I may plate/slant and save this culture in the bank.

2kTmgGW.jpg

I have it sitting in the fridge right now to settle out and see if I need to step up before brew day. I am currently planning on a Belgian Pale Ale and am wondering at about what temperature should I be fermenting with this yeast? I heard that Ommegang ferments at around 76.

What did you do ? Lots of people think this should be fermented at 75-80F.

What did you do ? Lots of people think this should be fermented at 75-80F.

I ended up just fermenting it without temperature control in the basement. Usually when I do this fermentation usually doesn't rise to above 72F. However, this strain naturally got up to high 70sF (a lot of activity).

ME7swXp.jpg

I wish I split the batch in half to see what flavors/aroma the yeast actually brings to the table. So far it seems to be a very good strain for saisons but i'm not sure if that is in part from the high fermentation temperature.

I wish I split the batch in half to see what flavors/aroma the yeast actually brings to the table. So far it seems to be a very good strain for saisons but i'm not sure if that is in part from the high fermentation temperature.
Just jumping in here. I did the same as you, rpryor. Cultured from Hennepin bottles, started with 300ml, then 600 ml, then about 1 L. It's a vigorous, happy yeast. I split a batch of the BYO Hennepin recipe (roughly) and pitched half with WY3711 and half with the Ommegang. Fermenting just as you did at about 70F in my basement right now (day 1). I imagine it will create some heat on its own next couple days, will likely move to warmer upstairs location to finish and hopefully "get funky" eventually. I love the funk!:rockin:

Back