Omega slow masticating juicer for fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
My neighbor called me up for advice brewing with fresh hops...... what to use and how much. He's doing a brew today. I suggested that I bring over my Omega 900, which is a masticating type juicer that uses an auger. It contains non-juicing components for doing things like nut butter, where it all comes out the end fully masticated. This looks to me like it could have potential for home grown fresh hops. They will come through as a pulp that should spread through the wort, and sink like pellet hops. It should also enhance flavor extraction. He's using a 15 minute addition of Cascade..........Has anybody tried this? It looks to me like it has real potential.

H.W.

I see a lot of potential for oxidation...
Besides that, aroma and bitterness come from the lupuling glands and not from the vegetable matter, there is really no advantage to be had in turning cellulose into a pulp.

I see a lot of potential for oxidation...
Besides that, aroma and bitterness come from the lupuling glands and not from the vegetable matter, there is really no advantage to be had in turning cellulose into a pulp.

Masticating juicers do not oxidize......... they use an auger running about 40 RPM specifically for that reason. They are built specifically to prevent oxidation. The hops will go into the wort immediately after mastication. The advantage is that the veg matter will sink like pellet hops, as well as rendering the lupulin accessible. The only possible negative I can see is that it might get more a vegetal flavor if used for dry hopping. With a 15 minute addition this should not be a problem.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who actually has tried this........ speculation isn't worth a great deal unless it brings up considerations I've not thought of.

H.W.

Back