Omega OYL-200

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davealicious

Reaction score
So, i was super excited to try out a new brand (to me) and new yeast. Was brewing a NE style IPA, thought this "tropical ipa" yeast would be excellent for it! According to Omega, it's to ferment between 75-85F. This threw me off, but i rolled with it and set my controller to 77.

The WORST phenolic notes i've ever had in a beer. It's on day 5 of fermentation, has basically finished up (from 1.060 to 1.010, over shot by .003)

does anyone have any advice? similar results with this yeast?

I haven't tried this one yet but I have it in the fridge. 5 days is pretty young. I would let it sit for a few more days to let the yeast clean up. Then give it some cold conditioning time before you write it off. Can you describe what sort of flavor/aroma you're getting?

Have never used this strain but 75-85 seems high to ferment an IPA at. I would the the phenolics are definitely a product of the high temp.

From the description it is the same strain as WLP-644 and Imperial Citrus. I have had good results with the WLP-644 offering of this yeast, ferments dry and if fermented at elevated temps will provide some lovely fruity notes. If you are picking up belgian-type phenolics I'd suspect something else is at play. Have you messed around with any belgian strains in that fermenter recently? Most notably Belle Saison / WY3711?

From the description it is the same strain as WLP-644 and Imperial Citrus. I have had good results with the WLP-644 offering of this yeast, ferments dry and if fermented at elevated temps will provide some lovely fruity notes. If you are picking up belgian-type phenolics I'd suspect something else is at play. Have you messed around with any belgian strains in that fermenter recently? Most notably Belle Saison / WY3711?

Nope, clean sankey fermenter. last few brews in the fermenter have used Wyeast 1187(a far underrated yeast imo). 5 gallons of the same batch are being fermented at a friends house with Wyeast 1318(1bbl brew house, so i usually brew 15+ at a time and share with friends.)
24 hour 2L starter done on stir plate at 70F with canned starter wort. oxygenated wort during transfer to sanitized keg/fermenter with sterilized airstone.

This is like bad "bandaid" phenol. I've tossed 2 batches in 10 years of brewing. one was a rampant fermentation that my chilling method failed on and was fermenting at around 100F. its a similar flavor to this :(

Also: I totally screwed up. I used some dextrine malt to increase body (along with a sach rest at 158 to help that body as well) I'm wondering if the flavor is the result of the yeast fermenting the dextrine? I hadn't looked at the product description from omega before pitching and only recently read that it CAN ferment dextrine.

I tried this yeast and did not get the flavors they state, haven't used it since.

Sacch Trois shouldn’t give you phenols at 77. Should be pretty tropical. Either you have an infection or you got an infected pitch.

Sacch Trois shouldn’t give you phenols at 77. Should be pretty tropical. Either you have an infection or you got an infected pitch.

Highly unlikely to be on my end. I couldn't imagine they'd send out bad yeast either. Most of my practices run on the STERILE end of things, not SANITARY.

Bandaid? Sounds like chlorophenol which is more of a water quality issue. That yeast is POF- which just means that you wouldn't get any clove flavor. Also, to get the really tropical fruit flavor you need to crank the heat and underpitch/under aerate. That yeast needs some abuse.

Water is RODI. 0 chlorine, 0tds to start. for this specific beer adjustments of .2g gypsum, .2g nacl, .7g MgSO4 and 1.3g CaCl per gallon were added.

If you're saying that underpitching and under aerating would've helped bring out the flavors, I certainly do the opposite. I aerate with O2 and generally pitch heavy. probably won't be using that yeast again for awhile, but I'll try those recommendations!

I used it @ 80ºF and made probably the best IIPA I've made in 8 yrs of brewing. I will use it often. Also Saisonstein's Monster from Omega made an outstanding standard Saison for me.

I fermented this with a proper pitch count and the good ole shake of the fermenter to aerate and fermented at 72. The amount of tropical notes that came through were ridiculous. Maybe try a smaller batch just to see if it was an anomaly. This is such an overpowering tropical bomb that it would be a shame not to give it another go.

I actually told a buddy of mine that I would lower the ferm temp next time because the tropical notes were almost too overpowering!

Cheers

I use this yeast for my NEIPA with great results. 5 days is young so it needs another week to mellow. Also, with an OG of 1.060 I highly recommend a starter. The yeast could be stressing out.

I'll give it another go some other time. I always pitch starters, as I'm usually pitching to 30 gallons. I'm mostly curious if the results were from the yeast fermenting the dextrine malt. The beer turned out drinkable but not up to my standards.

I used this yeast (omega) and did not like the flavors associated with it.
I’ve used it twice so I can be sure it’s the yeast and not my brew. The flavor was “bad” and I could see a band-aid association, sorta funky and not in a way that I liked. Some may like the flavor, to each our own.
Don’t think I’ll use it again unless I wanna make a beer that has the subtle flavors of an old arm cast.
I’m curious to other people’s experiences with this one....

Currently have a NEIpa fermenting with this. Set my ferm chamber at 80F and slightly underpitched. Will report back on how it tastes.

Question - fermentation seems to be slowing down; should I keep the chamber set at 80, or can I let it drop naturally?

I used this yeast (omega) and did not like the flavors associated with it.
I’ve used it twice so I can be sure it’s the yeast and not my brew. The flavor was “bad” and I could see a band-aid association, sorta funky and not in a way that I liked. Some may like the flavor, to each our own.
Don’t think I’ll use it again unless I wanna make a beer that has the subtle flavors of an old arm cast.
I’m curious to other people’s experiences with this one....

Update:
I realized that the off flavor I was experiencing was not a result of the yeast and was completely separate. Since then, I have used this yeast some more do indeed like it’s flavors as it pairs well with some of the light fruity IPAs I’ve been brewing lately.

I just brewed with this yeast. It was finished in 4 days at 82F (controlled), but after 7 days from pitching and in the keg for 1 day, I get an almost peppery flavor. I plan to let it sit for a while but thoughts in your experiences when tasting this so young?

I just brewed with this yeast. It was finished in 4 days at 82F (controlled), but after 7 days from pitching and in the keg for 1 day, I get an almost peppery flavor. I plan to let it sit for a while but thoughts in your experiences when tasting this so young?
I've fermented as high as 86ºF with this yeast & have never gotten any notes of pepper. What grain bill/hops are you using?

See attached image for my recipe and temperature profile. I treat my water the same for all pale ale recipes.
Screenshot_20190804-155845.jpeg
Screenshot_20190804-160110_Chrome.jpeg

Tried another glass, 24 hours later. Peppery flavor has subsided, however, I do taste a little alcohol. I have to wonder if the fermentation temperature drive this (that's what we're taught after all.) But I have to remember this beer is 8 days from brew day.

So everyday it's getting better. If I use this yeast again, I will fermentation the same but then drop to 70 and let it sit for 2 weeks before kegging. It seems like it needs a rest before consumption. I treated it too much like a kviek strain with a quick turn around from brew to the glass door to the high fermentation temperature. Give this guy some time.

I was thinking the same thing. Even if you’re a hyper vigilant Homebrewer you’re not achieving sterile conditions. I love Omega Tropical IPA I have brewed with it numerous times and always with great results. I pitch it warm - mid 80s and hold it there for a week and it’s done. The results are always tropical and citrus for me with very high attenuation. It’s not a good choice for a NEIPA imo but it makes a great hoppy beer.

Back