Omega Lutra yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This stuff is kinda crazy. Pitched it at 75F, looked at it 2 hours later and had activity in the airlock. Today, nearly 2 days in, it's finishing up (basing that on visuals; haven't taken a gravity reading). Pretty remarkable. Fermented at 70-71F, so hoping to keep esters low.

Lutra Pils #3.
87% Pilsen malt, 9% aromatic, 4% carapils
Mash 153F, 60min, target Ca 35, Mg 0, Na 6, Cl 65, SO4 5 (added 3g CaCl, 7.2ml 30% phosphoric acid to 26.5qt full vol BIAB nearly RO water) Target pH 5.30, measured pH at 30m (sample cooled to room temp) 5.45
Boil 60m, .5oz Magnum 12.4 @ 60m, 1oz Sterling 10.2% @ 10, 1oz Saaz 2.8% @ 1
Used 1qt saved slury from prior Lutra Kveik pale ale, itself was second overbuild from original packet, hold ferm temp 68F, 10days, keg, into keezer at 34F. OG 1.040, FG 1.007
This is day 9 in keezer. Still not clear. Clean taste, maybe hint of the white grape/pear but very faint, way beyond the spicy floral noble hop, slight sulfur/yeast long after swallow. Really nice summer, post tennis, beer.
1631566724409.png

My next brew is a Galaxy/2 row smash. Shooting for around 45 ibus and really tempted to use Lutra (building up from the frozen yeast bank in my chest freezer). What temps have you used when using Lutra with a pale ale/ipa and how did it turn out? Thinking of trying somewhere in the 75f-80f range or possibly higher. I’m torn between using Lutra or Pacman yeast. Was going to go with the real Chico but wanted something with a touch of character

I finally picked up some liquid Lutra at my LHB yesterday. I'm going to brew an Oktoberfest with it. Never used it before. Hoping it will turn out nicely. I hear good things.

My next brew is a Galaxy/2 row smash. Shooting for around 45 ibus and really tempted to use Lutra (building up from the frozen yeast bank in my chest freezer). What temps have you used when using Lutra with a pale ale/ipa and how did it turn out? Thinking of trying somewhere in the 75f-80f range or possibly higher. I’m torn between using Lutra or Pacman yeast. Was going to go with the real Chico but wanted something with a touch of character
Recently I made an old school pale with 2 row, c60, cascade and ahtanum and used Lutra. It was great. Fermented at high 70s-low 80s. It was similar to chico yeast. It smelled a little more bready/yeasty than Chico.

Somewhere here in the recent posts is a link to a guy who tested multiple temperatures and or the outcome into a chart. I think the optimum (cleanest and less acidic brew) was around 20 degrees Celsius.

Somewhere here in the recent posts is a link to a guy who tested multiple temperatures and or the outcome into a chart. I think the optimum (cleanest and less acidic brew) was around 20 degrees Celsius.
Yep I was the one that posted that lol

May hold off this time and go for a lighter brew for testing purposes

Looks like Northern Brewer has the dried Lutra available and in stock. Anybody going to give it a try?

Looks like Northern Brewer has the dried Lutra available and in stock. Anybody going to give it a try?

Recommends 1-2 packets per 5 gal batch.
While I am intrigued for storage, I hesitate spending $16/batch just for the convenience of dry, but everyone's different.

Recommends 1-2 packets per 5 gal batch.
While I am intrigued for storage, I hesitate spending $16/batch just for the convenience of dry, but everyone's different.

If the dry packets of Lutra cost $16 for a recommended batch, I'd rather just buy liquid and prop up a starter. As a bonus, I can make a large starter and save some in the fridge. Seems like the better option at that price point.

Update on my Lutra mocktoberfest: the flavor is nice but it's taking a long time to drop bright in the bottles in the fridge. This is almost a week in the fridge and still pretty hazy but the yeasty flavor is slowly dissipating. I just acquired a fermentation fridge so probably won't be repeating my experiment
20210928_200019.jpg

Is there a consensus on pitch rate? Are people making starters? I've pitched a tablespoon of Hornindal for a neipa, and it ripped through a 1.070 OG in 48 hours. A brew club buddy is giving me a small bit of Lutra that he harvested, and I was wondering if I should build it up first or just dump and pray?

long thread, has anyone made hard cider with Lutra?

Yes I have. It works great with apple juice from the grocery store. I fermented it around 77 degrees and it is so clean. I back sweeten with 3 cans apple juice concentrate at kegging time, after using potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite to put the yeast to sleep and stop refermentation. We just made another cider with this yeast and used cinnamon and other spices and it is wonderful. The yeast lets the apple flavor shine and the spices just pop. This will be my house cider yeast from now on. You should try a batch with Lutra and see for yourself, everyone here has been loving this yeast.

John

I just pitched the dry lutra into a batch of chocolate milk stout.. pitched at 90F and it was bubbling 3 hours later. I will tell you guys how it comes out. I felt lucky to be able to even get it since its now backordered almost everywhere. I have previously used the llemand dry voss extensively, so I will let you know how it compares. Two packs is redic .. you can use half a pack or maybe even less if you want to.. that's how the Norwegians who bred this yeast do it!

No idea on Lutra specifically, but in general clean yeasts like US-05 and lager yeasts are OK-ish but not first choice for ciders, in general an English ale yeast is your best bet.

Also I imagine that just from an infection control POV, holding fruit juice at kveik temperatures is not ideal - don't forget you don't have the anti-bacterial effect of hops.

But no doubt in Norway there are plenty of people using kveiks for ciders, it's just that there may be better options to the average non-Norwegian homebrewer - there's a big thread in the cider forum about that sort of thing.
Second .. Nottingham works GREAT!

Just kegged a Munich dunkle fermented with Lutra. 1.056 down to 1.016 with a 157* 60 min mash,proving to me that this yeast can do whatever you want. When I step mash from 143* 60 min to 158-160 with boiling liquor addition 30 min rest I get different mash bills to drop from 1.050 - 1.070 to drop to 1.010. Amazing stuff!

I had just noticed the dry stuff showing up. Whenever I make my next order, I plan on picking up a couple packet to try out. I see on NB site, they say to ferment any pseudo lagers at 68-72, which isn't all that different from folks fermenting lager yeasts at ale temps. But I think I would ferment the same lager grain bill at 68-72, and another at the more traditional hot kveik temps and see the difference.

Of course, I get all excited about this and probably won't get around to brewing it until late next year, so....

I’ve been sipping on a kolsch I fermented with Wyeast 2565 at 60f lagered for 3 weeks with a floating dip tube and treated with gelatin. I have to say in a blind taste test I would be unable to pick Lutra and 2565 apart. They are so close I’d be beyond confident saying these two yeasts could be used interchangeably. Are they clean? If lagered they fall into the background but aren’t nearly as clean as wlp029, Imperial G-03, or Wyeast 1007 (cleanest out of all if lagered and cleared). There’s absolutely a grape flavor there. Are they comparable? Yes! Glad I found a perfect example of how to explain this yeast ;) I’ll keep posting updates as I can but thought this would give some insight on this yeast

I’ve been sipping on a kolsch I fermented with Wyeast 2565 at 60f lagered for 3 weeks with a floating dip tube and treated with gelatin. I have to say in a blind taste test I would be unable to pick Lutra and 2565 apart. They are so close I’d be beyond confident saying these two yeasts could be used interchangeably. Are they clean? If lagered they fall into the background but aren’t nearly as clean as wlp029, Imperial G-03, or Wyeast 1007 (cleanest out of all if lagered and cleared). There’s absolutely a grape flavor there. Are they comparable? Yes! Glad I found a perfect example of how to explain this yeast ;) I’ll keep posting updates as I can but thought this would give some insight on this yeast

I still like the white wine esters given by GigaYeast021 for Kolsch. One man's opinion. Everyone has different tastes. Like those that like Lima Beans. They're wrong by the way.

I ordered dry lutra yesterday. I have't brewed in 2 years! I also have 34/70, lallemand voss and escarpment labs krispy Kveik on the way. I will be brewing them all up in a few weeks.

lutra, 34/70, krispy - malt forward pale with hallertau
Voss - balance slightly towards hops, america pale voss - APV haha - Cascade/centennial

I will be shooting for 1.050 on every batch.

Really looking forward to it. :D

Last edited:
I got a gal of raw cider at the farmers market. Took about 3 small glasses out and added some dry Lutra and Fermaid K,let sit overnite on counter then in the fridge. I burp it daily and it's getting drier and more fizzy every day.

So I was gifted a gal.(12.5 lbs) honey and diluted it to 4 gal in fermenter at 1.118 og. Pitched a slurry of Lutra and 2.3 grams of Fermaid K fermenting at 85*. Added another 2.3 grams on day 2. Oh yeah, 4 lbs of mixed fruit from Aldi.

I got 2 packets of dry Lutra in the mail last week. Now I need to figure out what to brew with it and how to fit that into my brew schedule, lol.

I have a ton of NZ hops so I was thinking maybe I'd do a NZ Pilsner with lutra.

I got 2 packets of dry Lutra in the mail last week. Now I need to figure out what to brew with it and how to fit that into my brew schedule, lol.

I have a ton of NZ hops so I was thinking maybe I'd do a NZ Pilsner with lutra.
I ordered a few packs yesterday. I used Lutra (liquid) in a Baltic Porter last year that turned out well.

Has anyone used Lutra in a cream ale fermented around 85F (not under pressure)? I'm thinking about giving this a go next brew. I have the White Labs Cream Ale yeast blend also. I really loved that in this recipe. I have floating dip tubes for all the kegs now also so thinking that might help with clarity/yeastiness.

My Baltic Porter went from 1.092 to 1.016 in 3 days with the dry Lutra. Going to keg it this weekend.

My Baltic Porter went from 1.092 to 1.016 in 3 days with the dry Lutra. Going to keg it this weekend.

I'm torn on whether to try a kolsch with Lutra or use it in a cream ale. I may just give the cream ale a go this time and ferment it at 85F just to see what happens. I'm on the quest for the "clean" fermentation :) This will be used with the Speckled Heifer recipe from Northern Brewer.

Put that Munich Dunkle on tap for Teach a Buddy to Brew Day, and it was well received as a delicious beer, but not a Dunkle. It was however one of my best brown ales ever brewed.

Ordering a packet of dry lutra to do a hard seltzer, planning on washing the dregs and pitching into an iipa afterwards. Gonna keep the seltzer around 1.045 and will feed it daily. Any reason why this would be a bad idea?

I did a mead and a wine with 2.3 grams of Fermaid K in 2 doses ( beginning and next day), the mead also got 2 grams of acid blend. will be updating soon as they are still working. Plan on racking in a week or so. Fruit still floating!

I have several different Kveik yeast dried and in bags in the freezer. I used a dehydrator. This is easy way to keep kveiks since they were used dry for all the years befor Lars made them famous. Has anyone else dried there own? I do have some Lutra, but not sure I have used any yet. :mug:

I dry mine in an oven with a dehydration mode at 100* on parchment that I spray with sanitizer. I do make vitality starters with 1 qt of wort taken at 10 min into the boil then chilled and pitched at high K.

“Brewed” a 1.052 hard seltzer on Saturday afternoon with 3kg dextrose and propper omega nutrients. Didn’t seem to krausen but when I checked it this morning it’s dropped to 1.027. I boiled a sachet of bakers yeast and tossed it in for the sake of it. No tempurature control, just insulation though I am tempted to invest in a heater for peace of mind in future endeavours. I used hard london tap water because I don’t have options and I’m not carrying 5 gal distilled water without a car. Gonna try to leave it alone for another 48hrs before I check on it again. Lidl (or is it Aldi?) do a really nice peach ice tea powdered concentrate that I’m planning on back sweetening this with. Won’t be carbonating, fizzy iced tea sounds weird. I wonder if this will be drinkable.

Back