Omega C2C American Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

requiem960

Reaction score
I just picked up a packet of the C2C. I'm not finding a ton of info and reviews. So I'm hoping to get a few questions answered here.

I'm going to brew a lemon peel grisette with the yeast. First question, how much different is this going to be vs the White Labs Belgian Saison 1? Am I going to yield any of the pepper and spice notes, or is the Brett going to sour this more?

Second, I generally add my lemon peel in the secondary. Am I wise to cold crash this in the secondary, and park it for a ton of time? Or, will this do well with a week or two in the secondary at room temperature? I know Brett takes time, but I want just a small bit of the funk it's going to yield without completely souring the beer.

Last question. Temperature! I see this yeast is very tolerant to higher temperatures. I live in Florida, so I can keep the primary anywhere from the upper 70s, anywhere down to lager temperatures. Am I better off fermenting warmer, say around 75? Or, should I bring this down to 68, 69, or 70?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And anyone who's used it and can share their experiences would also be wonderful!

I'm looking forward to brewing with Omega. It's going to be my first time using their yeast!

Ok, brewing right now. Hoping for some knowledge. Abv is slated at 3.7%. I'm pitching the yeast in about two hours or so.

Should I park this in the secondary for time? As I mentioned, I'm putting lemon peel there. Or keg and enjoy in about 4-6 weeks? Any help would be nice. First time brewing with Brett!

Have you packaged this brew? I'm thinking about ordering a pack

You know, I'm very disappointed in this thread. I never got an answer, so I didn't know what to do with it. I picked this yeast up at my homebrew shop, and the guys I generally get knowledge from were out that day, and one of their wives was working. She didn't have any info, and actually suggested I post here.

I brewed it that day of the last post, and took a sample on Friday night last week. It's been parked in the primary for quite some time. Someone recently suggested I keg condition it. So, we transfered it to the secondary about a week and a half ago now, and tossed in two ounces of lemon peel. Friday night we kegged it. Here's my thoughts so far. Final reading put us at 3.8% abv. This beer flat out has no body. Obviously it is a lawnmower beer. It had little if any funk. Sure smelled like it, but no funk tastes. A little bitter and acidic from the lemon peel. We over primed it with sugar when kegging. Hoping it'll be highly effervescent. But, I'll let you know when we can try it in about two weeks. Right now, it's just hanging out with some corn sugar in a warm keg! I hear keg conditioning well generally yield some of the Brett notes.

At the moment, I'm unimpressed with the yeast. It attenuated fine and fermented right to specification at about 75% efficiency. I guess that's a good thing. I can't wait to see where it winds up in the next couple of weeks. If it comes out anything like the warm, flat, sample... the next time I brew it, I'm tossing a couple ounces of lactic acid in the keg to sour it out a bit.

Ok, I am eating my previous words. Very, and pleasantly surprised with this yeast. Did a quick keg conditioning and carbonation.

This beer came out very solid. I'd give it a low B rating. A mild sweet yeast funk, on a very light body. Would definitely play around with it again. The grisette came out partly hazy, a little darker than expected, a little more bitter than expected with lemon drop hops, and hints of citrus from 2 ounces of lemon peel in the secondary. At 3.8% abv, this is a nice spring beer for Florida. Just tapped it and drinking it on the dock, watching a boat parade. It's perfect for that and a lot of flavor too for a boat beer!

If you decide to use this strain again, I would suggest you consider bottle condtioning the beer, to allow the brett character to develop more fully. Stored cold in a keg, I would imagine that the development of brett character would be somewhat limited. I am going to be using this blend soon and plan to bottle condition. If I remember to, I will post back my results. Cheers!

If you decide to use this strain again, I would suggest you consider bottle condtioning the beer, to allow the brett character to develop more fully. Stored cold in a keg, I would imagine that the development of brett character would be somewhat limited. I am going to be using this blend soon and plan to bottle condition. If I remember to, I will post back my results. Cheers!

The Brett character is definitely limited. It smells a lot more funky than tastes. On using it again, I think I'd like to go more body. I know Brett does well in the middle fives and higher.

But bottle condition? Heck no, unless you're sanitizing all my bottles and capping them! Maybe I'd keg condition upright for a couple of weeks, then throw it on it's side and forget about it in the corner for a few more months.

Overall, what I got out of the yeast in two months or so on a boat beer, I'm happy with it. And I'd recommend it. It definitely brewed a fun, sessionable, baby saison style beer. And maybe a kiss of lactic acid would've thrown my beer over the top. But still, I'm happy.

And I'd love to hear other reports on this yeast. Especially for those with patience willing to park it for a while.

i'm drinking a saison I made with it. I fermented it for about a month before kegging it. og was 1.0444 fg 1.005. Very tasty light summer beer I added 2oz of mosaic hops in the keg. mild funk, hint of pepper spicyness.

Reviving an older thread. Anyone have any additional reviews for this yeast? I am trying to squeeze in one last brew before the MN winter catches me ( still early I know but I have limited time in the next couple months). I plan to put the keg in the corner of the basement and forget about it until spring. I normally copitch 3711 and WY brett b for brett saisons but this one sounds interesting.

I hate I didn't see this thread in the beginning. I don't log in much anymore.

I've used C2C a good many times now and even have a blend of it with ECY08 that I used frequently. C2C is a fantastic blend that really shows a ton of character by fermenting warm (in the 80s). It also does very well with rye, wheat and spelt. The primary Saison strain is really nice when pushed in the higher temps and will actually takes a while to develop a nice character when fermented cooler in normal ale temps. Likewise, the brett strain is also very partial to warm ferments. I really like this blend with new world hops and you can definitely get 80+% apparent attenuation out of it. I also recommend bottle conditioning with it as stated above. Brett really shines when it is able to work under pressure and keeping it cold will inhibit that for sure.

I did a small write up on this blend in a wheat Saison here.

http://www.thefarmhouseobsession.com/search/label/Fluffy

I'd totally use this yeast again. I just finished that grissette barrel last week. I hit very close to expected gravity, but I shot for a 3.7% abv beer and used sugar on very light grain. However, I did a brett and trios session IPA that should've been 4.8, and fermented really dry winding up at 5.5%.

I'm liking the experience of brewing with wild yeast.

Anyways, the longer you can park it the better it gets. I'll definitely use the C2C again. And I'd strongly endorse it. And finally, I found that the Omega Hothead is now my go to house strain for all standard ales!

Resurrecting this thread - has anyone had any recent experience with OYL-217 C2C American Farmhouse blend? I plan on doing a funky saison with it soon, and was wondering if there's anything out there not covered here. Aside from this thread, there isn't much out there on peoples' experience with this. As I'll be filling a 10+gal barrel with it, I plan on stepping a pack up via a starter.

I am drawn to this being Hill Farmstead's sacc and Logsdon's brett - but mainly because my first choice of Mad Fermentationist blend isn't available from Bootleg Bio yet.

It's Hill Farmstead's Sacch? Cool!

I used it once a couple years ago. Fermented quickly and didn't have to wait long for horsey funk. Big horse blanket for me. I've since used dregs from that for an award-winning Saison (not to brag ) and a little bit of that gets me the same horse blanket. I have a hard time picking out the Saison character in Brett beers, and this one is no exception.

It's Hill Farmstead's Sacch? Cool!

I used it once a couple years ago. Fermented quickly and didn't have to wait long for horsey funk. Big horse blanket for me. I've since used dregs from that for an award-winning Saison (not to brag ) and a little bit of that gets me the same horse blanket. I have a hard time picking out the Saison character in Brett beers, and this one is no exception.
Any insight as to how you're using it to get the horsey profile? Starter, temp, bottle condition, etc. etc.?

Any insight as to how you're using it to get the horsey profile? Starter, temp, bottle condition, etc. etc.?

I'm not sure there's a wrong way to get the horse funk. The one time I used it in primary, I want to say that I pitched just the packet (no starter) into a 1.045-ish blond (pils/wheat) in the high 60's. That was in a modern fast sour beer that went sour and funky quick - within 6 weeks of pitch (bottle conditioned).

I've since pitched the dregs twice, both into saisons, one fermented with Saison Parfait and one with the Mad Fermentationist blend - both bottle conditioned, both horsey quickly (within month or two), though both got much, much better and more complex with additional time. The one with the Mad Ferm blend is horsey in the nose, but more fruity-funky on the pallette. It's very lambic-ish.

Thinking about it makes me want to buy the blend again, but then I think that as long as I have bottles with the dregs around, I might not need to.

Thanks. I'm actually using this one soon (as the main fermenter; not solely during aging) because I can't get the Mad Fermentationist blend anytime soon, until they release the next batch (in April?).

resurrecting again- interested in using this for a grisette we're brewing next weekend. going to ferment warm, but how long should we leave it conditioning in the fermenter? looking at a month for the brett at least? don't want to bottle and have bombs if it's still working its way down. cheers!

You should not have to worry about over-attenuation in the bottle if you give the beer time. Only it can tell you when it's done.

Resurrecting this thread - has anyone had any recent experience with OYL-217 C2C American Farmhouse blend?
my 5 gallons have been sitting in secondary for exactly 2 years now (Aug'18)... sorta forgot about it. i'll dry-hop and bottle it in the coming months, at some point... i need to drink down some of my other sour/funky beer first so i can free up the bottles. also, i just bottled another mixed-ferm dry-hopped beer so that itch is scratched for now. although it's more work, i prefer to bottle my sours so i can taste them as they age, transform the hops, etc.

I am drawn to this being Hill Farmstead's sacc and Logsdon's brett
cool, i wasn't sure who's microbes were in there. where did you get this info from?

I have a hard time picking out the Saison character in Brett beers, and this one is no exception.
(aside)
this will (almost) always be the case. saisons get a lot of their character from the yeast's esters. brett transforms those esters into other flavors - stripping away what you'd expect from a saison (unless you catch it relatively young, before the brett has had a chance to fully express itself).

(aside)
this will (almost) always be the case. saisons get a lot of their character from the yeast's esters. brett transforms those esters into other flavors - stripping away what you'd expect from a saison (unless you catch it relatively young, before the brett has had a chance to fully express itself).
That makes sense. Didn't think of that before.

Admittedly there aren't official statements from either brewery, but I'm taking the general consensus at their word from the number of sources online stating as much.

Can you point to where those are? I'm genuinely curious and may give it another shot.

Logsdon is walking distance from me, I know Dave and his family fairly well and he was active in our club for a while though he's long retired. For those that don't know, Dave started Wyeast with his daughter Jenny who still runs the business up here. The reason I'm saying this is Dave/Chuck/Shilpi use all manner of different lab isolates in Logsdon's beer, but I know a favorite and their go-to for something like Seizoen Bretta is the 5112 B. Lambicus strain. I use it quite a bit for packaging too, it will get real horsey-funky under pressure though it starts out more fruity and mild. It's quite clean on its own. I guess only Lance from Omega could confirm this unless you know somebody who has identified the isolates?

Can you point to where those are? I'm genuinely curious and may give it another shot.

Logsdon is walking distance from me, I know Dave and his family fairly well and he was active in our club for a while though he's long retired. For those that don't know, Dave started Wyeast with his daughter Jenny who still runs the business up here. The reason I'm saying this is Dave/Chuck/Shilpi use all manner of different lab isolates in Logsdon's beer, but I know a favorite and their go-to for something like Seizoen Bretta is the 5112 B. Lambicus strain. I use it quite a bit for packaging too, it will get real horsey-funky under pressure though it starts out more fruity and mild. It's quite clean on its own. I guess only Lance from Omega could confirm this unless you know somebody who has identified the isolates?

A little off topic, but when you say Brett L for packaging are you referring to adding Brett L at bottling? I made a very nice beer with Brett L in secondary, strong funk and cherry aroma. It was a bit of a fluke but would love to re do a saison with Brett L at bottling

Trying to revive this thread. I used this yeast not exactly what I was going for taste more Belgian blonde than saison that I was going for. I was planning on adding cucumbers, melon and thyme. Anybody ever add fruits or adjuncts to a beer with this yeast and have good results? I’m a little nervous to try it since the flavor is exactly what I was expecting at this point.

Back