Olive Juice Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmurph

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch recently with some bad results. The only thing that I know went wrong was the fermentation temp. Brewed it up with some friends the day before leaving for vacation, and one of them shut off my AC before we left--too bad I didn't realize. It was around 85 F in my apartment when we got back, so I know the beer was close to 95 F for those first few days. Thanks.

Anyway this beer is still carbing, but there's a distinctive flavor I can only describe as tasting like olive juice--very sharp and acidic. I don't think it's gonna subside. Would the high temp have caused this?

Ouch 95, that is really hot, I always say bottle it unless you are really pressed for time, space or really need the few dollars instead of wasting it on caps and sugar. All sorts of flavors mello out eventually but this is an extreme temp for beer to be fermenting at, try to keep it 65-75 for Ales, but most yeast will specify the temp they work best.

Clem

Back