Old yeast in a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBass

Reaction score
So I have been meaning to step up to using starters. I have a couple 1 gallon Big Mouth Bubblers, air locks and stoppers. Figured they would work as good as anything. I've got a brew coming up that could use a starter. I have 2 packages of yeast, WLP-028 Edinbough Ale Yeast, 1 is about a year old the LHBS gave me, the other is about a month old.

I made the starter at 90 grams DME to 1 Liter water, for a total of 4 liters (10 gallon batch). Got everything the right temp and dumped the old pack in. How long should I wait before giving up and dumping the new pack in?

Seems I read that I should shake the starter pretty frequent the first day or 2?

If I don't want to use all the excess beer I just wait for the fermentation to stop, then cold crash, and decant most of the liquid, mix the rest and add to the wort? Correct?

Thanks for any help.

Back