Old style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
With all the weird IPAs being made these days I got to feeling nostalgic about a simple well balanced IPA with centennial and cascade, so I brewed one.
IMG_20220423_173652.jpg

I like a simple-ish American IPA with 2-row, a pinch of wheat or Munich, then assertive hopping with C-hops to 60-80 IBU’s. And some complimentary late kettle hopping.

Bracingly bitter, makes a point, then the finish makes you want another sip.

And doesn’t require a paragraph explanation

Last edited:
With all the weird IPAs being made these days I got to feeling nostalgic about a simple well balanced IPA with centennial and cascade, so I brewed one.
I brew my "Summer Ale" every year and I'll be doing it again next month. It uses Centennial and Cascade hops. It's very American with Briess extract and US05 yeast. My IPA, however, uses Goldings, Munton's, and British yeast. On the other hand, I agree with your sentiment and @Miraculix is right: that does look yummy.

edit to correct typo

Last edited:
Sad when clear beer is considered odd these days and beer that looks like orange juice is all the rage and considered “normal”. People have lost their minds.

Yep, when I got started homebrewing, if you were to hand someone a beer that wasn't clear (unless it was a dark beer, of course), they would look at you with this eww look on their face and be hesitant to drink it. Even if you explained that it is a Wit or a Hefeweizen and its supposed to be cloudy.

I did one of those for a Zymurgy online extra. It took nine months of aging to become drinkable.
I did a red IPA with C hops and Brewers Gold that was well over 100 IBU by mistake. Brewing on the hoof with a hang over, mental math mess-up plus flame out hops that added a lot of IBUs that I forgot to factor in iirc. 🤠

Anyway, I drank an occasional bottle and kind of enjoyed it in a hard earned sort of way. But from 1 to 2 years it became one of my favourite beers I ever brewed. The last bottle at over 2 years was drunk in the kitchen at dusk as the light evaporated, a sad but beautiful experience! I should brew more beers this way and put them away. Something happens to heavily hopped aged beers I think. That one wasn't terribly strong. About 5.8% iirc.

And actually I did brew one last September, a strong bitter around 6%. 23 litres with 300g mostly English hops, but 40g were American. Again it's very bitter but I am drinking it, sometimes blended with a 6% old ale which is a bit average, under hopped. Together they make a very nice ale. I'll hold some of the bitter back for later consumption, as I intended.

Last edited:
I did a red IPA with C hops and Brewers Gold that was well over 100 IBU by mistake. Brewing on the hoof with a hang over, mental math mess-up plus flame out hops that added a lot of IBUs that I forgot to factor in iirc. 🤠

Anyway, I drank an occasional bottle and kind of enjoyed it in a hard earned sort of way. But from 1 to 2 years it became one of my favourite beers I ever brewed. The last bottle at over 2 years was drunk in the kitchen at dusk as the light evaporated, a sad but beautiful experience! I should brew more beers this way and put them away. Something happens to heavily hopped aged beers I think. That one wasn't terribly strong. About 5.8% iirc.

And actually I did brew one last September, a strong bitter around 6%. 23 litres with 300g mostly English hops, but 40g were American. Again it's very bitter but I am drinking it, sometimes blended with a 6% old ale which is a bit average, under hopped. Together they make a very nice ale. I'll hold some of the bitter back for later consumption, as I intended.
Made the same experience with an overly hoppy ak. It wasn't drinkable for the first months but after half a year it got better and better. After about one year it got worse again, but the ibus were only about 60 or 70.

We brewed what we called a "Old style with a Twist". Turned out excellent, but did not take any photos. It was very clear and disappeared very fast. Probably my best brew to date as we are rebreeding it soon.

Attachments

• OldSchoolwTwistPaleAle-2.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
I like a simple-ish American IPA with 2-row, a pinch of wheat or Munich, then assertive hopping with C-hops to 60-80 IBU’s. And some complimentary late kettle hopping.

Bracingly bitter, makes a point, then the finish makes you want another sip.

And doesn’t require a paragraph explanation
So glad to find this thread. I literally can't find an IPA I like in the breweries right now. Good for the ol' wallet though I guess! Who's got recipe recommendations? Clean, bitter, piney goodness please. I've got the equipment for partial mash and BIAB currently.

Latest posts

Back