Old Speckled Hen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks. :D

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!

Sam75 said:
Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks. :D

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!

I'll tell ya, getting in a can was cool too. The nitro widget made that look awesome in the glass. I'd definitely say the can was better than the bottles, but as I've told you before--I have something wrong with my palate when it comes to some import beers. I just taste something off-like a preservative or something. I never get that from tap beer. For example, Newcastle in bottles to me is borderline bad, where as from the tap its a great beer that I could drink all day.

Never tried it, but I would venture a guess that the beer was mistreated (hot/cold) and/or old just before you purchased it.

Sorry to hear it wasn't a hit. Don't take it out on your friend.

You have to remember that we homebrewers have a different way of tastingbecause we have trained our tastebuds and other senses to isolate flavors. :D :D I just look at it as their loss - and more HB for me!! :D :D

Sam75 said:

Hey Sam, there is a homebrew book that is nothing but clone recipes for a bunch of different beers. OLd Speckled Hen is in that book. I can't remeber it for the life of me! :mad: My brew bud loves Old Speckled Hen too, but he likes that "gassy" taste and smell. It was kinda funky to me too. Has to be skunked from the UV rays. He actually brewed some cerveza, and after he bottled it, stuck it in the sun for 10-15 minutes. Tasted alot like Corona, Sol, etc. I've read that Corona actually has a special UV machine for the beer they can, to give it the gassy flavor like the bottled Corona. Crazy!

DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
Hey Sam, there is a homebrew book that is nothing but clone recipes for a bunch of different beers. OLd Speckled Hen is in that book. I can't remeber it for the life of me! :mad: My brew bud loves Old Speckled Hen too, but he likes that "gassy" taste and smell. It was kinda funky to me too. Has to be skunked from the UV rays. He actually brewed some cerveza, and after he bottled it, stuck it in the sun for 10-15 minutes. Tasted alot like Corona, Sol, etc. I've read that Corona actually has a special UV machine for the beer they can, to give it the gassy flavor like the bottled Corona. Crazy!

DeRoux's Broux

Sounds like you're talking about "Clone Brews". I've got the book, and a batch of OSH clone bottle conditioning as we speak. :D

I think homebrewer99 is probably right, because I've gotten some in bottles that was excellent. I hate it because I'm afraid to buy it anymore. I don't want to pay $8 for a six pack of bad beer! Hopefully my clone turns out good, and I won't have to worry about it anymore! :D

Sam75 said:
Sounds like you're talking about "Clone Brews". I've got the book, and a batch of OSH clone bottle conditioning as we speak. :D

I think homebrewer99 is probably right, because I've gotten some in bottles that was excellent. I hate it because I'm afraid to buy it anymore. I don't want to pay $8 for a six pack of bad beer! Hopefully my clone turns out good, and I won't have to worry about it anymore! :D

you'd think i could have remembered that title? :p

that's the way to do it. find one you like, and clone it. after a couple batches, you'l lnail it down.

good luck!
DeRoux's Broux

I just purchased the "Clone Brews" book several days ago.

I haven't ventured too far into because I am actually reading 4-5 books at the moment. I have them all over the house and pick them up whenever I'm in that room.

I am currently reading "Radical Brewing". I recommend it as it has a lot of history, comedy, anecdotes, etc., intermingled with the recipes and facts.

homebrewer_99 said:
I just purchased the "Clone Brews" book several days ago.

I haven't ventured too far into because I am actually reading 4-5 books at the moment. I have them all over the house and pick them up whenever I'm in that room.

I am currently reading "Radical Brewing". I recommend it as it has a lot of history, comedy, anecdotes, etc., intermingled with the recipes and facts.

i've seen it, just havent heard from anyone if it was worth picking up.

i'm the same way. my wife is always going behind me p/u my trail of Brew Your Own magazines and my other brew books. then i get hacked when i can't find the one i'm looking for! :D

HA! I made a pact with my wife many years ago...she does not pick up after me...nothing, zilch, nada, nichts. (Now I know where everything is).

I recommend the Radical Brewing book. It's not a Papazian training book by any means, but it is a good read.

Guys...(and gals)

Sam's Old Speckled Hen clone came out freaking awesome. It tasted exactly like the canned and bottled version of the real one, but without the off-taste that I attest to some kind of preservative or light-struck factor.
It was a really nice beer. Color was dead on too. I had my wife (when she came to pick my drunk-a$$ up) bring a bottle of the real stuff from my fridge.
It was the best extract brew I've tasted yet--based on my limited consumption of my own and others.
Sam can confirm, but I think he went with the recipe straight from the Clone Brew book. If you like this style, go with it. It was good.

What style is it, exactly? I've considered buying it a couple times, hearing of it here, but I couldn't remember what was said about it.

rightwingnut said:
What style is it, exactly? I've considered buying it a couple times, hearing of it here, but I couldn't remember what was said about it.

I think officially its considered an ESB but its really not a overly bitter beer, IMHO.

Old Speckled Hen is good stuff I picked up a 4 of it and Wexford in the pub cans it was very good. Although I liked both I enjoyed the Wexford better. I love beers that have a creamy head and its cool to watch them rise up after you pour it.

Results are in:

osh.jpg

And that is after it has been sitting for 1 hour, btw the head is actualy white as the original, not brownish as in the pic.

Can't compare the taste to the real thing, as i never had one, nor can i buy one :(

But it tastes good, malty with som caramel notes and kind of flowery aroma.

Viiktor said:
Results are in:

Can't compare the taste to the real thing, as i never had one, nor can i buy one :(

Looks good. Sounds like you have the flavor down. It looks a touch too dark to my eyes, but that could be the picture. OSH has a beautiful orangish hue that Sam really nailed on his.
Good job, cloner!!!

Viiktor said:
Results are in:

osh.jpg

And that is after it has been sitting for 1 hour, btw the head is actualy white as the original, not brownish as in the pic.

hhmmmm? nothing to compare too? i think i can get OSH in those cans w/ widgets like Guiness. i could ship ya' a 4-pack for exchange for a local micro ??????? let me know..... :D
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
hhmmmm? nothing to compare too? i think i can get OSH in those cans w/ widgets like Guiness. i could ship ya' a 4-pack for exchange for a local micro ??????? let me know..... :D
DeRoux's Broux

Seing as i live in sweden i don't think that's such a great idea, but if ur ever in sweden and feel like buing me some ur more than welcome, u see, i can't buy my own beer, only 17 y.o. :p

Viiktor said:
Seing as i live in sweden i don't think that's such a great idea, but if ur ever in sweden and feel like buing me some ur more than welcome, u see, i can't buy my own beer, only 17 y.o. :p

aahh, a little side-note i didn't notice the first time :p
we'll, if i'm ever in the area, i'll let you know, and i'll buy you a tankard or 2, or 3 or.........

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old Speckled Hen.... So it's good stuff? I'd like to brew some some day as a kinda tribute to the MG's I've owned in the past. The brew is supposedly named after the "Owld Speckl'd Hen" which was the runabout car that the workers used at the MG factory in Albingdon. Over the course of it's life, it became speckled with paint, thus the name.... In later years, they put the car on display outside the factory, or so I've read.

Sam, disregard my PM. I found this thread after doing a 5 second search.... figures.

Congrats, Viiktor!! Glad you like it.

Andre.....didn't see this until I'd replied to your PM. :) Anyway, I can still get back to you with the recipe, if you'd like. Just let me know extract, mini-mash, or AG. Mine was extract.

Sam

Interesting letters here ! Some of the pubs here in Lincoln UK have it on the hand pumps, I have seen it in bottles the local supermarkets but prefer the draught version, and yes, it does tend to "go off" pretty quick once the barrell is tapped, I think it's one of those beers thats very fussy about the cellar it's kept in, I only ever had one bad pint and that was in a pub in Skegness, but that place is a seaside resort made for tourists of the British variety they do not take pride in the beer there anyway !
We have a local medium size brewery in the county of Lincolnshire ( Batemans of Wainfleet ) They have a number of good beers but for some reason it does not seem to be popular with the locals in my area.
Regards. Mike.

So you are saying that OSH is actually really good....so it wasn't just my imagination?

I wish we could get it fresher over here.....I won't buy it anymore because it goes tits-up so fast. I might grab another sixxer before long just for the bottles.....my absolute favorite. :)

Revisited the old dirty bird tonight. I got a can of it with the widget for research purposes on whether or not I want to clone this baby in the upcoming days. I got a good can. It was better than I remember. Sweet, malty, great session brew.

However, I also tried a can of Boddington's pub ale right after it. First time I've ever had it. It was great. I was totally expecting to be bored out of my mind with it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I think I'm going to clone this instead, or at least try to get something similar. I decided I want to work on a recipe for a non-hoppy (overbearing at least) session beer that I can have on tap all the time. I'm planning this for a year or two down the road when I have 3-4 beers of my own on tap. I want a hoppy pale ale, a stout or a porter, and a brown ale or pub type ale on tap all the time. Maybe the 4th will be a hoppy bastard or some type of seasonal.

Anyway....Boddington's was a nice surprise tonight.

I had some out of a keg last weekend at the Pub in Louisville. Wasn't what I was in the mood for, but it was well made and didn't have any bad flavor that I noticed.

Dude said:
Boddington's was a nice surprise tonight.
ManBods4Y13jpg.jpg

This is where it used to be brewed before the brewery was closed down and production switched elsewhere in the UK.

OSH isn't bad either!

There was a change to OHS around 2002-2003, I cannot remember what it was. I think it was taken over by somebody?
I used to always have a couple of bottles of it in the garage when I lived in Scotland (moved to Tasmania!) My Dad used to love it and cannot drink it anymore, it was his favourite (and trust me, he tried a lot of different beers https://www.homebrewtalk.com//images/smilies/smile.gif
:)

I like both OSH and Boddingtons, but I've never bought them at the grocery, only at the pub. There used to be an Irish pub in Cary that had both on tap and while they rated $4-5/pint I enjoyed them. They got shut down for serving minors one too many times and now it's a Brazilian steakhouse which ain't bad either!

So I pull up ye olde Google to find a clone recipe for Old Speckled Hen and this thread is tops on the returns. :mug:

I drank this beer a few years ago, warm even, and it was good.

Any more word on clones?

There was a change to OHS around 2002-2003, I cannot remember what it was. I think it was taken over by somebody?
I used to always have a couple of bottles of it in the garage when I lived in Scotland (moved to Tasmania!) My Dad used to love it and cannot drink it anymore, it was his favourite (and trust me, he tried a lot of different beers https://www.homebrewtalk.com//images/smilies/smile.gif
:)

It was purchased by Greene King in 1999. They went on to change the cask and keg versions from 5.2% to 4.5% (creating controversy and tarnishing reputation). Supposedly the bottled and canned versions were kept the same, and still 5.2%.

I fell in love with a co2 (perhaps cask?) version of it I drank on draft while on vacation in N.C., but now only see it on draft with the damn nitro tap, which IMO wrecks it.

Yeah. I love this stuff! Any time I am in the UK, I grab a few cases to put on the plane with me and bring home. I want to try the recipe I found on here.

Old Speckled when the cask hits its stride is one of the finest real ales there is. Great stuff. It's not a patch on the cask ale when it's bottled. Easily my favourite English ale when it's good.

Back