Quantcast

Old Speckled Hen?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks. :D

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Sam75 said:
Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks. :D

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!
I'll tell ya, getting in a can was cool too. The nitro widget made that look awesome in the glass. I'd definitely say the can was better than the bottles, but as I've told you before--I have something wrong with my palate when it comes to some import beers. I just taste something off-like a preservative or something. I never get that from tap beer. For example, Newcastle in bottles to me is borderline bad, where as from the tap its a great beer that I could drink all day.
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,193
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
Never tried it, but I would venture a guess that the beer was mistreated (hot/cold) and/or old just before you purchased it.

Sorry to hear it wasn't a hit. Don't take it out on your friend.

You have to remember that we homebrewers have a different way of tastingbecause we have trained our tastebuds and other senses to isolate flavors. :D :D I just look at it as their loss - and more HB for me!! :D :D
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
Sam75 said:
Anyone tried this? I first had it on tap at an "Irish" pub in Japan(!). It's brewed by Moreland in the UK. The stuff was excellent....among my favorites.

So after coming back to the states, I was thrilled to find it locally. I bought a couple sixers and was in heaven. A couple weeks later I picked up some more, and it tasted like crap! Very bitter smell and flavor. I recommended the stuff to my buddy (orrelse), and he picked some up about the time I got the bad stuff, and he said the same thing. He told me my favorite beer sucks. :D

The stuff comes in clear bottles, which I figured was the culprit (very nice bottles, BTW). Orrelse found some in a pint can, and said it tasted the same. I can't figure out what the deal is, unless I just happened to get lucky and got some nice fresh stuff, and everything else since has been too old.

Anyone else tried it, and if so, what did you think? I'm hoping it's a freshness issue, and not my taste buds going on the fritz!
Hey Sam, there is a homebrew book that is nothing but clone recipes for a bunch of different beers. OLd Speckled Hen is in that book. I can't remeber it for the life of me! :mad: My brew bud loves Old Speckled Hen too, but he likes that "gassy" taste and smell. It was kinda funky to me too. Has to be skunked from the UV rays. He actually brewed some cerveza, and after he bottled it, stuck it in the sun for 10-15 minutes. Tasted alot like Corona, Sol, etc. I've read that Corona actually has a special UV machine for the beer they can, to give it the gassy flavor like the bottled Corona. Crazy!

DeRoux's Broux
 
OP
SwAMi75

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
DeRoux's Broux said:
Hey Sam, there is a homebrew book that is nothing but clone recipes for a bunch of different beers. OLd Speckled Hen is in that book. I can't remeber it for the life of me! :mad: My brew bud loves Old Speckled Hen too, but he likes that "gassy" taste and smell. It was kinda funky to me too. Has to be skunked from the UV rays. He actually brewed some cerveza, and after he bottled it, stuck it in the sun for 10-15 minutes. Tasted alot like Corona, Sol, etc. I've read that Corona actually has a special UV machine for the beer they can, to give it the gassy flavor like the bottled Corona. Crazy!

DeRoux's Broux
Sounds like you're talking about "Clone Brews". I've got the book, and a batch of OSH clone bottle conditioning as we speak. :D

I think homebrewer99 is probably right, because I've gotten some in bottles that was excellent. I hate it because I'm afraid to buy it anymore. I don't want to pay $8 for a six pack of bad beer! Hopefully my clone turns out good, and I won't have to worry about it anymore! :D
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
Sam75 said:
Sounds like you're talking about "Clone Brews". I've got the book, and a batch of OSH clone bottle conditioning as we speak. :D

I think homebrewer99 is probably right, because I've gotten some in bottles that was excellent. I hate it because I'm afraid to buy it anymore. I don't want to pay $8 for a six pack of bad beer! Hopefully my clone turns out good, and I won't have to worry about it anymore! :D

you'd think i could have remembered that title? :p

that's the way to do it. find one you like, and clone it. after a couple batches, you'l lnail it down.

good luck!
DeRoux's Broux
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,193
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
I just purchased the "Clone Brews" book several days ago.

I haven't ventured too far into because I am actually reading 4-5 books at the moment. I have them all over the house and pick them up whenever I'm in that room.

I am currently reading "Radical Brewing". I recommend it as it has a lot of history, comedy, anecdotes, etc., intermingled with the recipes and facts.
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
homebrewer_99 said:
I just purchased the "Clone Brews" book several days ago.

I haven't ventured too far into because I am actually reading 4-5 books at the moment. I have them all over the house and pick them up whenever I'm in that room.

I am currently reading "Radical Brewing". I recommend it as it has a lot of history, comedy, anecdotes, etc., intermingled with the recipes and facts.
i've seen it, just havent heard from anyone if it was worth picking up.

i'm the same way. my wife is always going behind me p/u my trail of Brew Your Own magazines and my other brew books. then i get hacked when i can't find the one i'm looking for! :D
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,193
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
HA! I made a pact with my wife many years ago...she does not pick up after me...nothing, zilch, nada, nichts. (Now I know where everything is).

I recommend the Radical Brewing book. It's not a Papazian training book by any means, but it is a good read.
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Guys...(and gals)

Sam's Old Speckled Hen clone came out freaking awesome. It tasted exactly like the canned and bottled version of the real one, but without the off-taste that I attest to some kind of preservative or light-struck factor.
It was a really nice beer. Color was dead on too. I had my wife (when she came to pick my drunk-a$$ up) bring a bottle of the real stuff from my fridge.
It was the best extract brew I've tasted yet--based on my limited consumption of my own and others.
Sam can confirm, but I think he went with the recipe straight from the Clone Brew book. If you like this style, go with it. It was good.
 

rightwingnut

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2004
Messages
463
Reaction score
4
Location
New Jersey
What style is it, exactly? I've considered buying it a couple times, hearing of it here, but I couldn't remember what was said about it.
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
rightwingnut said:
What style is it, exactly? I've considered buying it a couple times, hearing of it here, but I couldn't remember what was said about it.

I think officially its considered an ESB but its really not a overly bitter beer, IMHO.
 

HomeBrewMatt

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Old Speckled Hen is good stuff I picked up a 4 of it and Wexford in the pub cans it was very good. Although I liked both I enjoyed the Wexford better. I love beers that have a creamy head and its cool to watch them rise up after you pour it.
 

Viiktor

Member
Joined
May 8, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Sweden
Im brewing this recipie from clonebrews right now, hope it turns out just as good as yours sam.
 

Viiktor

Member
Joined
May 8, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Sweden
Results are in:



And that is after it has been sitting for 1 hour, btw the head is actualy white as the original, not brownish as in the pic.

Can't compare the taste to the real thing, as i never had one, nor can i buy one :(

But it tastes good, malty with som caramel notes and kind of flowery aroma.
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Viiktor said:
Results are in:

Can't compare the taste to the real thing, as i never had one, nor can i buy one :(

But it tastes good, malty with som caramel notes and kind of flowery aroma.

Looks good. Sounds like you have the flavor down. It looks a touch too dark to my eyes, but that could be the picture. OSH has a beautiful orangish hue that Sam really nailed on his.
Good job, cloner!!!
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
Viiktor said:
Results are in:



And that is after it has been sitting for 1 hour, btw the head is actualy white as the original, not brownish as in the pic.

Can't compare the taste to the real thing, as i never had one, nor can i buy one :(

But it tastes good, malty with som caramel notes and kind of flowery aroma.
hhmmmm? nothing to compare too? i think i can get OSH in those cans w/ widgets like Guiness. i could ship ya' a 4-pack for exchange for a local micro ??????? let me know..... :D
DeRoux's Broux
 

Viiktor

Member
Joined
May 8, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Sweden
DeRoux's Broux said:
hhmmmm? nothing to compare too? i think i can get OSH in those cans w/ widgets like Guiness. i could ship ya' a 4-pack for exchange for a local micro ??????? let me know..... :D
DeRoux's Broux
Seing as i live in sweden i don't think that's such a great idea, but if ur ever in sweden and feel like buing me some ur more than welcome, u see, i can't buy my own beer, only 17 y.o. :p
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
Viiktor said:
Seing as i live in sweden i don't think that's such a great idea, but if ur ever in sweden and feel like buing me some ur more than welcome, u see, i can't buy my own beer, only 17 y.o. :p
aahh, a little side-note i didn't notice the first time :p
we'll, if i'm ever in the area, i'll let you know, and i'll buy you a tankard or 2, or 3 or.........

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux
 

andre the giant

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
539
Reaction score
5
Location
Southeast Missouri, USA
Old Speckled Hen.... So it's good stuff? I'd like to brew some some day as a kinda tribute to the MG's I've owned in the past. The brew is supposedly named after the "Owld Speckl'd Hen" which was the runabout car that the workers used at the MG factory in Albingdon. Over the course of it's life, it became speckled with paint, thus the name.... In later years, they put the car on display outside the factory, or so I've read.

Sam, disregard my PM. I found this thread after doing a 5 second search.... figures.
 
OP
SwAMi75

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
Congrats, Viiktor!! Glad you like it.

Andre.....didn't see this until I'd replied to your PM. :) Anyway, I can still get back to you with the recipe, if you'd like. Just let me know extract, mini-mash, or AG. Mine was extract.

Sam
 

Viiktor

Member
Joined
May 8, 2005
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Sweden
Had a small party yesterday, went through 4 mini-kegs (5 L), everyone seemed to like it :)
 
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Lincoln U.K.
Interesting letters here ! Some of the pubs here in Lincoln UK have it on the hand pumps, I have seen it in bottles the local supermarkets but prefer the draught version, and yes, it does tend to "go off" pretty quick once the barrell is tapped, I think it's one of those beers thats very fussy about the cellar it's kept in, I only ever had one bad pint and that was in a pub in Skegness, but that place is a seaside resort made for tourists of the British variety they do not take pride in the beer there anyway !
We have a local medium size brewery in the county of Lincolnshire ( Batemans of Wainfleet ) They have a number of good beers but for some reason it does not seem to be popular with the locals in my area.
Regards. Mike.
 
OP
SwAMi75

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
So you are saying that OSH is actually really good....so it wasn't just my imagination?

I wish we could get it fresher over here.....I won't buy it anymore because it goes tits-up so fast. I might grab another sixxer before long just for the bottles.....my absolute favorite. :)
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Revisited the old dirty bird tonight. I got a can of it with the widget for research purposes on whether or not I want to clone this baby in the upcoming days. I got a good can. It was better than I remember. Sweet, malty, great session brew.

However, I also tried a can of Boddington's pub ale right after it. First time I've ever had it. It was great. I was totally expecting to be bored out of my mind with it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I think I'm going to clone this instead, or at least try to get something similar. I decided I want to work on a recipe for a non-hoppy (overbearing at least) session beer that I can have on tap all the time. I'm planning this for a year or two down the road when I have 3-4 beers of my own on tap. I want a hoppy pale ale, a stout or a porter, and a brown ale or pub type ale on tap all the time. Maybe the 4th will be a hoppy bastard or some type of seasonal.

Anyway....Boddington's was a nice surprise tonight.
 

God Emporer BillyBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
1,508
Reaction score
16
Location
Melnibone
I had some out of a keg last weekend at the Pub in Louisville. Wasn't what I was in the mood for, but it was well made and didn't have any bad flavor that I noticed.
 

Caplan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2005
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
6
Dude said:
Boddington's was a nice surprise tonight.

This is where it used to be brewed before the brewery was closed down and production switched elsewhere in the UK.

OSH isn't bad either!
 

dibby33

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
2,130
Reaction score
15
Location
Hobart, Tasmania
There was a change to OHS around 2002-2003, I cannot remember what it was. I think it was taken over by somebody?
I used to always have a couple of bottles of it in the garage when I lived in Scotland (moved to Tasmania!) My Dad used to love it and cannot drink it anymore, it was his favourite (and trust me, he tried a lot of different beers https://www.homebrewtalk.com//images/smilies/smile.gif
:)
 

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
5,374
Reaction score
30
Location
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
I like both OSH and Boddingtons, but I've never bought them at the grocery, only at the pub. There used to be an Irish pub in Cary that had both on tap and while they rated $4-5/pint I enjoyed them. They got shut down for serving minors one too many times and now it's a Brazilian steakhouse which ain't bad either!
 

Zul'jin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
664
Reaction score
24
Location
South of most States
So I pull up ye olde Google to find a clone recipe for Old Speckled Hen and this thread is tops on the returns. :mug:

I drank this beer a few years ago, warm even, and it was good.

Any more word on clones?
 

oloroso27

Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle, WA
There was a change to OHS around 2002-2003, I cannot remember what it was. I think it was taken over by somebody?
I used to always have a couple of bottles of it in the garage when I lived in Scotland (moved to Tasmania!) My Dad used to love it and cannot drink it anymore, it was his favourite (and trust me, he tried a lot of different beers https://www.homebrewtalk.com//images/smilies/smile.gif
:)
It was purchased by Greene King in 1999. They went on to change the cask and keg versions from 5.2% to 4.5% (creating controversy and tarnishing reputation). Supposedly the bottled and canned versions were kept the same, and still 5.2%.

I fell in love with a co2 (perhaps cask?) version of it I drank on draft while on vacation in N.C., but now only see it on draft with the damn nitro tap, which IMO wrecks it.
 

KC10Chief

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
1
Location
Anchorage
Yeah. I love this stuff! Any time I am in the UK, I grab a few cases to put on the plane with me and bring home. I want to try the recipe I found on here.
 

EoinMag

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Messages
1,169
Reaction score
67
Location
Dublin, Ireland.
Old Speckled when the cask hits its stride is one of the finest real ales there is. Great stuff. It's not a patch on the cask ale when it's bottled. Easily my favourite English ale when it's good.
 
Top