Old smack pack: Help me figure out the right starter process for brew 2 days out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
So my new shop, which I usually love for there fair prices just sold me a smack pack from wyeast made on 10/15/15. I asked for something newer and they said it's all they have. it's Wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit. yeastcalculator.com says there at 30B cells in there, my Wit is getting brewed on sat and I need 200B cells for 1.050 wort 5.25 gallons.

I usually dont get ingredients so close to brew day and of course this old strain is throwing a kink in the works.

I figure with 30B cells I have several options:

option 1) with my 3 liter flask make a 2.6liter starter tonight, supposedly get close to 200B cells, and have the ability to decant by putting the starter in the fridge as I go to bed Fri night.

2) make a 0.5L starter tonight, pitch a second 1L starter ontop of that tomorrow at 7AM before going to work, put the starter in the fridge Sat AM and decant what I can before pitching late sat afternoon.

With option 2 I'm concerned that my not giving the yeast enough time to work through a full growth and eating sugar phase, will I get less cell growth when pitching the additional 1L of starter wort in the mix too early?

Thoughts, what would you do?!

A 2-litre starter will get you over 300 billion cells. I use and trust the following yeast calculator:

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

You will even end up with an extra 100 billion cells that you can harvest from your starter for future use. Once finished and before you put it in the fridge to decant, pour out in a separate container 0.66ml of the spent starter, which is equal to 1/3 of the whole = 100 billion cells.

A 2-litre starter will get you over 300 billion cells. I use and trust the following yeast calculator:

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

You will even end up with an extra 100 billion cells that you can harvest from your starter for future use. Once finished and before you put it in the fridge to decant, pour out in a separate container 0.66ml of the spent starter, which is equal to 1/3 of the whole = 100 billion cells.

Thanks I wasn't aware of that calculator. I wish there wasn't so much fudge in these starter numbers, one site says a 2.5 liter starter will barely get me 200B cells, the other says it's 300B.

Latest posts

Back