Old Selection Premium Kit. Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchK9

Reaction score
I bought out a homebrewer who got out of the business. I can't complain because there is about $1300 worth of stuff that I got for $100.
My question is, he had 7 Selection Premium Wine Kits that are probably several years old. I opened up the Merlot one, and it still tasted okay so I watched a dvd on how to make wine and figured I would only be out the water if it turned to vinegar. My question is, I am sure I will have to buy new yeast because the one with the kit is too old. Will the other items that came with it be okay? It has
Oak Powder, Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate, Bentonite, and Chitosan. Do you think these will need to be replaced as well?

Most of those additives would cost a total of what $40. You made out nice on all the kits. Now toss out the old additives, dont be cheap, and buy some new ones...Nice score on all the stuff by the way!!

If the bentonite is unopened, you can keep that. It's just a mineral and the same stuff as powdered kitty litter, so it doesn't go bad, per se. Chuck all the old chemicals though. And nice score!

Back