Old oak cubes in bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I've got a couple mason jars of oak cubes sitting in bourbon that are like 2 years old. I am moving soon. Any reason I should save these. If I want to make a bourbon stout in the future (which of course I will), is a 2 year old bourbon oak cube any better than a 2 month old cube?

I've got a couple mason jars of oak cubes sitting in bourbon that are like 2 years old. I am moving soon. Any reason I should save these. If I want to make a bourbon stout in the future (which of course I will), is a 2 year old bourbon oak cube any better than a 2 month old cube?

That is a pretty interesting question! I think the longest that I have soaked anything was about 4 months in some Rum for a Stout. I think its really about the type of wood and how long you leave it in the beer?

Having said that I have only done three wood chipped with an alcohol soaking. 1st time was a Kentucky Common with Oak and Bourbon - Two months in a jar with a random amount of wood (I did not feel like it added too much to the beer) - 2nd time was the Rum Stout - this was very good! Six oz of a mixer of wood, Oak, Apple, Cherry soaked in Dark Rum for four months (Almost had that heavy thick syrup taste that some barrel ages have) - 3rd Eggnog Stout - I just released it on my YT channel - But basically three oz of woodchips for two months in Bourbon (I felt like this was just right, at lest for this beer, but it had a lot of other things added too)

I have several mason jars with oak and spirits that I started around 2013 or 2014 thinking I was going to do a lot more "barrel aged" beers but for the most part I have used very little from them. I moved states a few years ago and brought them with me because why not. Eventually I'll use them. If you don't want to haul them along let them go to another homebrewer.

Back