Old Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX2TN

Reaction score
Hello all, it’s been a while since I’ve read this forum, or even brewed beer for that matter. I do have a question, I have an old extract beer kit and was wondering if it’s still going to make decent beer. Would like to get some opinions please. I bought the kit in October 2017. It is a Citra IPA kit. Hopefully that is enough info for ya. Thanks, good to be back in the beer brewing Community.

What will you do if it makes an indecent beer? Drink it anyway or discard it?

Replace the hops and brew it. The hops are not likely to have survived that long but the extract should still be OK. It might have darkened a bit though, will that ruin it for you?

Well, if it makes an indecent beer just as I have in the past I will drink it anyway. So far, Knock on wood, I haven’t made one that’s so horrible you can’t drink it. And no, the color of it won’t ruin it for me at all. Could be one of those accidental beers like Guinness LOL. Appreciate the comments… Cheers

Most of the ingredients are probably fine. The hops might be a little stale but hops store better than most realize. The yeast is definitely past its prime however, as most dry yeast has a 2 year window from date of manufacture.

I'd get a fresh pack of yeast, weigh whether you feel like paying for new hops or not, and brew it.

Its been awhile since I have brewed, found a kit that was dated 2016. Decided to brew it. Made a yeast starter to check validity of yeast using some of the DME. Yeast started ok brewed using hops, LME and DME. Everything went well however wort was considerably darker that expected The OG was 0.1 higher than expected. The batch is currently in primary bubbling nicely. I will report back once finished.

The hops are not likely to have survived that long but the extract should still be OK.

I just successfully used hops that have been frozen in airtight bags for more than a decade . . .

While I cannot yet comment on how well it turned out for consumption, as it is now on it's second day of aging in the bottles, but I threw caution to the wind and brewed a Hank's Hefeweizen that I purchased in 2015. This is an extract kit and I did not replace anything. The yeast is dry Safbrew WB-06 with an expiration date of 02-2016. I brewed it on April 26 with an SG of 1.058 which is a bit higher than it should have been at 1.049-1.053. It came down to 1.011 on May 6 and held there until I bottled it yesterday May 12. Per the kit instructions, the FG should be 1.010-1.012. Based on that, I believe the yeast to be ok. When I sampled it right before bottling, it tasted ok, maybe just a little on the sour side if anything. I will let it condition for 2-4 weeks and see how it goes. YMMV.

Last edited:
I just successfully used hops that have been frozen in airtight bags for more than a decade . . .

Yeah there are some old hops out there...touring some facilities in Yakima last year we went through a warehouse with all 2014 crop year. I'd guess that has a lot more to do with contracts but they aren't storing them for nothing.

I had a lot from Christmas 2012 in my basement. Brewed a wheat ale using LME, but yeast was DOA. I used Fleischmann's Baker's yeast . Tasted nothing like a wheat ale, but my wife and I liked it. I added brown sugar to the boil for higher ABV and a little flavor.
20200405_010229.jpg

Worst case scenario, it's not a great beer. Best case, it is. As long as you don't infect it, you'll be fine.

Yeah there are some old hops out there...

Oh, these were current when I bought them :p

And there is a sealed pound or pound in there, too, of Saaz. Yikes, just checked, it's from '92! I have two children younger than these hops, and another neck and neck (what time of year do they get harvested?)

I just made a decade old Mr. Beer kit but used some yeast I harvested from a real brew. Why not? My LME was super dark. Expecting it to be drinkable but sweet and malty.
How was your olde brew?

DO IT...just brew it...use it all, old hops and yeast...I bet it will be better than you think...

Back