Old Can of Muntons Old Ale LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckettOfBeer

Reaction score
Ok so I have a can of this stuff that I forgot about and it has been sitting around for probably at least 6 months. I'd hate to see it go to waste, but is it even worth it to use? Would I only end up with some stale-tasting beer?

There should be a date on it somewhere...

I have for cans lme that expiried 2003.... Not going to use them....

Ok so I have a can of this stuff that I forgot about and it has been sitting around for probably at least 6 months. I'd hate to see it go to waste, but is it even worth it to use? Would I only end up with some stale-tasting beer?

Fresher the better of course, but 6 months is not long for a can. Brew it! Add fresh hops and specialty grains for best results IMO.

As wilserbrewer said, I would steep some grains, use fresh hops, etc. You should be fine

Buddy of mine won a medal with a beer he made from a coupe kits that were lost in the basement for years. I recently did a stout using a can of Moutmellick that I had in the garage since '07... steeped some grains, used 3# DME for the rest of the fermentables. Beer is very nice.

Back