Old Brewer's Best Kit -> Any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacticacid

Reaction score
I just found an old brewers best IPA kit from 2009. It has 2 3.3lb unhopped LME cans, 1lb of crystal 60, a half pound of victory malt, and 3 oz. of vacuum sealed cascade. None of it has been refrigerated, but it has been stored in a cool basement.

Is any of it still useable? I've been BIAB for a the last couple of brews, so I don't see any real use for the LME, unless it could be used for making starters?

Would the hops be useful for anything? I was thinking of making a pseudo lambic in a couples of weeks would it be worth using them for that?

Here's a novel idea...brew it up! I used a cooper's can & yeast from 6/09. It came out really good with the old yeast in a small starter. It's in my avatar. It was a cooper's OS lager can. I'd added plain extra light DME & 2 hops.

I'd say your sealed cascade is likely fine but the grains cold be stale and for the small value of the grains, discard them or use them for compost. Now, the LME could be used for starters as it would probably be useable albeit a tiny bit darker now which wouldn't matter for this purpose.

B

Back