old AC condenser unit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bblack7489

Reaction score
I'm having my AC condenser (outside part) replaced tomorrow, so basically a heat exchanger and a fan. Is there anything I should save out of the old one that would be helpful for my brewing system? Pump? Fan motor? Heat exchanger coils?

no, there is a nasty oil inside the compressor and system along with the refrigerant. if it's busted, just trash it. those fans run off 220 voltage anyway, it's too much trouble to put it to use.

I disagree. You could build a fermentation chamber out of it. hey if it will cool a house think of how well it could cool a small room

Take the condenser to the scrap yard for the copper. Then buy something from your LHBS or a few beers...

Or Make sure they give you a discount for removing the condenser section.

A scrap yard will just pay you by weight for the unit. You might get $20 for it, unless you seperate the copper from the other metals in it. There is no way to use that old condenser to cool anything, it's just basically on old compressor that doesn't work anymore.

If it still worked, you could use it for a bunch of stuff. Ferm chamber, glycol cooler (chill glycol down to 10°F or so, then pump through your wort chiller). Or, just hook it up to cool a shed or the garage.

If the compressor's shot, or has a leak, you can take out the fan and use it for ventilation, or hook up the motor to a grain mill. Of course it runs off 220V as said earlier, but if you're an electric brewer, you may have 220V ready to use.

I hope you're getting the evaporator (inside at fan discharge) replaced too.

Back