Old 60 Amp Fuse Box question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoes

Reaction score
Would it even be possible to try to brew with electric? even the grainfather seems to require a dedicated 20 amp fuse.

60A @ 120V = 7200W

If there's nothing else running on that box at the same time, it's very feasible. Combine 2 elements to get to 5800W (80% load).

I use a 3500W induction plate (240V), and can easily boil 5 gallon batches (7 gallon wort). With the lid on half way and some insulation around the kettle, 10 gallon batches (13 gallon wort).

On older installations, make sure all the wiring is sound and sized correctly. There's a good possibility they used aluminum wire to your 60A subpanel, which may need some attention/checking.

Last edited:
With something like this I'd have a certified electrician weigh in on the issue, after inspecting the panel and your wiring. All the 60-amp boxes I've seen are old, and old to me is not something I'd be stressing. As Islandlizard notes, it's possible, but depending on how you plan to use it, it may take most of the power to the box leaving little for other uses.

Back