Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkAZCA

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a little while and finally decided to pull the trigger and sign up today.

I've been brewing for about 10 months or so now, and have brewed about as many beers in that time.

I discovered today that a refrigerator I haven't been using can fit some fermentation equipment (Best discovery ever!), so I've decided to start working on an Oktoberfest.

I'm going to buy a temp controller and now some new yeast options just opened up to me. I'm pretty excited.

Well I did some research on the Oktoberfest style today and am playing around with a partial extract recipe. So far it looks like this:

1.25 lb German Vienna
.75 lb German Munich
.5 Cara Pils
.5 Cara Munich

3.5 lb Light liquid malt extract
3.0 lb Amber liquid malt extract

1 oz Hallertauer hops @ 60 min
.5 Saaz or Tettnang @ 30, 15 and 0 min

Wyeast #2633 (In some sort of starter, I haven't done a starter yet either but now seems like as good of a time as any)

I figure I'll start on the first and let it ferment for around a month.

I hear you want to pitch colder than your fermentation temperature for a clean, crisp beer.

Does anyone have any tips for someone lagering for the first time? Or maybe some input on my recipe?

I'd use Munich LME (which is usually 40-50% Munich), no caramalts, and no hops past 30 minutes. Your recipe will make a darn good beer, though.

Make a BIG starter (At lease 3 liters, more if you can). Be prepared to have the fermentation take longer (like 2-3 weeks vs 5 days) and also be prepared to not have the airlock moving alot. Pitching cold is one method. You can pitch about 5 degrees lower than your fermentation temp and the slowly warm it up over a few days. Doing this is supposed to reduce the need for a diacetyl rest. I still do one anyways to be safe.

I just did my first lager about a month ago and am still waiting. Those are all things that helped me. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back