Oktoberfest...whos going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkultra69

Reaction score
Well the wife and I will be off to Oktoberfest in Munich for the first time this year. For those of you that have gone befor, What are some need to know things? Ill be staying with friends in Vilseck, and taking the train into Munich. We'll be there the last week of the fest. 9/26-10/04. Also any other travel tips to that area of Bavaria any one has would be helpful. We'll only be there a week befor heading to Paris (I get Oktoberfest, wife gets shoes:)) Thanks for any and all info.

Hey see Neuschwanstein Castle Tours from Munich, Munich Tours best day trip I've taken in Bavaria ever! Remember to tip the waitresses at the Oktoberfest or they won't come back! You can sometimes buy beer tokens to exchange for beer (it's a bit easier) Try starting in a more traditional tent like Spaten or Augustiner and ending up in a party tent like Paulaner by the evening. Avoid Hofbrau as It'll be full of my fellow drunk Kiwis trying to pick fights with Aussies and English lads on Stag do's. I was lucky enough to be with some friends from Munich who acted as guides for the day! Hey best of luck, I'm bloody jealous man!

Prost

4 of us will be going from Sept 24 - Oct 3rd. Switzerland, Germany, Austria. We will be staying in Erding and riding the train to Munich.

I'll be there with the wife from Sept 30 - Oct 4 before heading west into the Rhine Valley and then on to Luxembourg and Belgium. Specifically in Belgium I will be going to Rochefort.

I just ordered and received The Beer Drinker's Guide to Munich. It's got loads of breweries, and restaurants as well as 6 "buy one get one free" coupons. It's decent. Also, Rothenburg is about a 2 or so hour train ride away from Munich, that's another palce to go if you have time. A railpass might be a good investment if you add up all your probably train fares and they equal more than the price of a Railpass, plus you can get a twin pass and save some money there too.

Go to Augsburg it is a beautiful city . with a lot to see check it out I can give a few tips
for the city was there in the army.
I lived in Augsburg from 1975-1979...:mug:

I also lived/worked in Bamberg for 5 years, 1999-2004.

I've been to the O'fest at least a dozen times (I lived only 40 miles away).

I've been a million places...it's difficult to know where to start...

Just have fun!!!

Do the Louvre and Versailles in Paris...

Neuschwanstein Castle as previously mentioned and everyone should visit the Dachau Concentration camp as a reminder of the horrors of Nazi Germany. It's just a short train ride (20 minutes) away. Have fun and have a brew for me.

Back