Oktoberfest & Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
I'll be brewing the AHS Oktoberfest soon using WLP820. Mr. Malty suggests between 1.5 and 2L starter (I'm not sure of the born on date, only the best if used by date may 30, 09). I have a stirplate w/ a 1L flask. Do I need to/should I pick up a larger bottle to do 2L?

Any advise would be appreciated, I haven't made a starter before. Thanks.

I would strongly agree with Malty on the size of the starter. What I typically do with my O'fests is prep a 1.5 L starter for 24 h on a stir plate, then I crash the yeast for two days and decant off the liquid. Morning of brewing I pitch 500 mL of wort at the same tempmperature of the yeast. I then bring the temp of the mixture up to the pitching temperature while I am brewing. And if you are interested, I pitch cold, usually at 46 F.
Good luck,
Matt

Any tips on making this work with a 1L flask? Can I make a 1L starter and split it somehow? I need somewhere between 1.5 and 2 L...ugh, I should've just bought the 2L flask to begin with.

Any tips on making this work with a 1L flask? Can I make a 1L starter and split it somehow? I need somewhere between 1.5 and 2 L...ugh, I should've just bought the 2L flask to begin with.

Like mpb4f I just make a starter let it go 24-36 hours Crash cool decant the liquid and then add some more wort let it go again for 24 hrs to bump up the yeast count.

Thanks...Can I simply add the vial of WLP820 to ~2L of 1.040 starter wort or do I NEED to step it up to 2L in smaller increments added daily or every other day for a few days?

i just made an oktoberfest with wyeast bavarian (2206?). started with a quart of wort, and kept growing it until i had a gallon of starter. cold crashed for 2 days, then poured off the spent wort and got a quart of yeast slurry. thing still lagged 36 hours before visible activity at 48 degrees, but it's going awesome now

Latest posts

Back