Oktoberfest/Marzen fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnmurphy4250

Reaction score
Hey-o...

I brewed my first (in true style) Oktoberfest yesterday. This is the first time that I am fermenting it at a lower temp and it appears to not have started yet. The OG was 1.060 and the fermentation temp is 51-52 degrees. I used s-23 saflager yeast (22g)

I have brewed religiously for about five years and know my way around the garage-brewery so I am a bit perplexed and I do not want to raise the temp out of frustration or haste. Any info?

Brewed my first lager a few weeks ago (Ofest also). OG 1.063 and used two packs of 34/70 dry yeast. Took about 5 days to start and wasnt an active fermentation compared to an ale. Took a gravity reading a week in because I was worried. Sure enough it was doing its thing. Hear it is quite normal to have a slow/ delayed ferm when talking lagers. I kept at 50 degrees F.

Yep, I find it typical to see a lag time of 36-48 hours with lagers. I generally try to start them below temp and let them come up. I usually use W-34/70 rather than S-23. I recommend giving it a try, as I find the flavor profile to be nicer.

The worst was Mangrove Jack's lager yeast. It was about a 92-96 hour lag time. Very disappointed with that yeast.

Hope it works out well for you. How long do you plan on lagering the beer? I just bottled my Aletoberfest last week as I don't have good lagering capabilities, but used 1007 at about 60. The sample tasted good enough for me :)

Hope it works out well for you. How long do you plan on lagering the beer? I just bottled my Aletoberfest last week as I don't have good lagering capabilities, but used 1007 at about 60. The sample tasted good enough for me :)

I will ferment x14ish days with a two day diacetyl rest and then lager x 30 days.

Back