OK What is it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wi1s0nX

Reaction score
Hi,

So on on friday, after being snowed in for 2 days, I decided to head on down to the LHBS to buy stuff to make a Vienna. I figured that i would be able to Keep the fermenting beer down at lager temps in the basement as ambient temp is not supposed to get above 30 for a while. Anyway, i get to the shop and grab my garin and start running it through the mill. I get the grain ground and bagged up and proceed to the Fridge to grab yeast and hops and Lo and behold, the there was no lager yeast(I did mention we had been snowed in for 2 days). So I grabbed a pack of PacMan and couple of oz.s of Saaz and went home to brew. The question is, what will I end up with?

I used:

5 Lb Geman Pils
5 Lb Geman Vienna
1 Lb Geman Munich

.5 oz fuggles (60 min)
.5 oz Saaz (60 Min)
.5 oz Saaz (15 minute)
.5 oz Saaz (flameout)

I'll be fermenting down in the 56 - 60 F range.

Thanks,

That is a bit low for Pacman, but you won't have any diacetyl. I'd wrap the fermenter to minimize the temperature fluctuations. Once it is done fermenting, lager it & it should be close to a Vienna, just a little dryer.

Don't forget to salvage the yeast. John Maier, Brewmaster, Rogue Ales says it's good for six generations.

Looks like a pretty straightforward Pale Ale. If you used Kölsch yeast and all German hops, you would've been somewhat close to that style as well, though I'm not certain that the Vienna and Munich are entirely appropriate for a Kölsch.

Back