OK to Transplant Rhizomes? In late June?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhwrecker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a total of 10 rhizomes that I planted last year up here in Southern NH in two groups. They didn't do too good last year, but it was the first year, and I wasn't too worried. This year, they all started coming up in mid-April, which thrilled me. Now, over 2 months later, the group that are getting more sun are all doing great. However, the other half is getting less sun this year, and two have died, and the others are growing very slowly, as other plants/trees, etc. are blocking more sun this year than last year.

I want to dig up the poor performers, and move them over to the sunnier side of the house.

At this point in the year, what risks/concerns/considerations should I have about transplanting the rhizomes over to the other side of the house?

I realize that it may impact the total growth of the transplanted plants this year, but since they're doing crappy already, I'd like to try and at least get them in a happier place for future years.

Thanks for any/all advice in advance

If your goal is to simply get them into a sunnier spot for NEXT year, i say wait until next year to move them as they'll continue to feed their root system and make is bigger/stronger

If you want to move them and see if they'll make a go at it, then move them now. From everything i've heard and read they are hearty plants and i doubt you'll kill them, just maybe stunt some growth.

Thanks for the input - I'd like to get as much out of them as possible this year too. Guess I was already thinking glass half full, since some of them have died off. I'll be sure to give them plenty of food and water after the "transplant operation".

yeah if you transplant them now, just make sure it's in the evening. this way they'll have time to acclimate overnight to their new area. Also if your'e going to feed them, i'd use half strength fert or a fert specific for transplants.

Latest posts

Back