OK to make dog treats if using rive hulls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a brew (Yooper's Oatmeal Stout) and I'm thinking of using the spent grain for a batch of dog treats. However, I put a half pound of rice hulls in this batch and I've never done that with grain for treats before. Think it will be OK? I don't want anybody's pups to have a digestion problem :D

Interesting, I've never thought of that. They might be a little scratchy coming out the other end of the dog. ;) Then again, since many pet food mfrs. routinely add lots of grain byproducts, I wouldn't think your doggie treats would be harmful. A half pound of hulls probably only comprise a few percent of the overall grain bill.

I've given my spent grains (with rice hulls) to a friend to make dog treats. They came out fine with no harm to the pooches.

Can you post the recipe if you decide to make them? I would like to use my spent grains for this purpose

Whatever you do, for the love of god don't make treats if you use pumpkin in the mash.

Diarrhea. Lots of it. Explosive type. Not pretty. :eek:

We use pumpkin to relieve doggy diarrhea actually as it's high in fiber and easy on their stomach. I've seen homemade treat recipes that feature pumpkin. Maybe your dog got into a lot of it at once?

Sorry for derail... I've made the spent grain and peanut butter treats in the link I posted and my pooch loved them. Never used rice hulls in the mash though.

We use pumpkin to relieve doggy diarrhea actually as it's high in fiber and easy on their stomach. I've seen homemade treat recipes that feature pumpkin. Maybe your dog got into a lot of it at once?

Sorry for derail... I've made the spent grain and peanut butter treats in the link I posted and my pooch loved them. Never used rice hulls in the mash though.

Hmm, maybe something else was wrong then... all three of them had it, and I know pumpkin is high in fiber so I assumed they were responsible. Stopped giving them the treats from that batch and it went away.

Thanks to all for the replies. Ski - the link GenIke posted is the recipe we use. And since nobody else has pointed it out yet, keep the hops away from the dogs - definitely not good for them!

Now back to cleaning up my equipment so I can BBQ some carne asada!

Back