OK to let commercially filled corny keg warm up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
If I'm out of town, say on a weekend road trip, is it ok to get a corny keg filled, and then let it warm up for 24 hours before I can get it home to get it in the kegerator? I can't think of a way to keep it cold in the trunk for 24 hours until I get it home.

Hopefully they purge the airspace in the keg with CO2.

Can you keep the keg in the back seat of the car instead of the trunk? Keep it out of direct sunlight and try to keep the temps down in the car.

Purge it with CO2 before you take it. Get some insulation to wrap around it to keep it cool as long as possible.

It's a subaru outback, so backseat or cargo area should all be the same temp. I plan to be parked in a parking garage, so keeping the car cool shouldn't be too hard. I'll get some insulation, and make sure either they or I purge it with CO2, and I guess I'll give it a whirl. Any suggestion on the type of insulation to use?

Thanks for the advice, all.

It must be some awesome beer to make this effort. Believe it or not but wrapping things in cardboard from boxes is an easy/cheap and pretty efficient way to go. I knew an owner of an Ice Cream distributor/mfg who would insulate his deliveries with cardboard instead of buying a refrigerated truck - cheap SOB but it worked.

I got a corny filled in TN in the middle of a road trip a few weeks ago. it sat in the hot trunk of my civic for a day and a half (including a few hours in a parking lot in the hot sun for a Braves game) before i put it in my keggerator and tapped it. it still tastes fine to this day. i say no worries.

Back