Ok This is Addicting. What have I gotten myself into?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach

Reaction score
I just returned from Iraq and I spent the greater part of the year there planning this thanksigving's get together. All of my family and my husband's family is going to be there so we really want it to be super special. Most of his family is from Wisconsin, so I wanted to see if I could make a better brew than something they might have had up there. I decided to start early just to see if I could do it, and since we're so close to Austin Homebrew, I bought a kit straight from them with a recipe for Sam Adams Boston Ale. (BTW Awesome recipe!)
At first I was a little worried that it was going to be a total flop because the crappy burner on my stove never seemed to get the whole huge pot to a rolling boil. But upon searching the internet I found loads of information, and I kept coming back here to Homebrewtalk.
Burned floaty bits in my wort? Ahh it's ok someone else left theirs on for waaay too long and it became a hoppy smelling hockey puck.
Green crud at the top of the bottle? Don't worry! That's normal!
No secondary bottle? It's ok, just leave it in there longer!
I have to say, this has been a really comforting site for all my first brew worries.
The only issue is, now I'm addicted. I now have three ciders and four meads in primary and i have a trip back to austin planned to get more hops for another beer. I don't know who's going to drink all of this. The only consolation that I have is that I have time between when I start and when they finish. I guess I need to get to making friends!
So, anyone thirsty?

Yes. Welcome back, and welcome to a very addicting hobby. It might be tough to beat some of Wisconsin's beers, but we can always try, right?

Hey, I figure I should set my goals high. Plus I love the thought of a really awesome, super tasty accident. I figure that maybe beginners luck is on my side for at least a few batches, right? Lol, and just in case it's not, I'm sterilizing everything twice.

First, thanks for your service and welcome back!

Yes, this is addictive.
Get out while you can-

BTW, there are good brewclubs in your AO.
You may want to tap into the knowledge base.

Best,

Yes, very addicting, I have all my primaries full right now but am thinking of brewing and putting it in a bottling bucket. It's like I have to brew since the SMWBO is gone this weekend :mug:

Thanks, guys!
Yeah, this is really insane. I've started to look at everything as an ingredient.
Bananas? Yes!!
Chilis? Yes!!
Garlic? Eww. Yes!! Wait.. I don't know about that one.
Anyone else do that?

Welcome to the site and for your service to our Country. Yes it really is addicting, and I mean brewing as well as HBT. You will really learn a lot here and I mean it. I went to a HB club meeting here in Denver and I was just rambling on about yeast washing and some other tidbits I learned on here and they were like...wow aren't you quite the warehouse of knowledge. Oh and you have to make some Apfelwine....it is cheap and yummy. But it does pack quite a punch so you have been warned.

Thanks for the suggestion, zman, I will be starting an Apfelwine this weekend! Looks incredible. Thank god I have an extra room that doesn't get much use.
Is there such a thing as too many in primary?

1. My deepest gratitude for your bravery and valor defending our country and upholding our way of life!

2. No, there is NOT such a thing as too many brews in primary! I've been brewing for what....1.5 months now...and I just last weekend free'd up all 4 primarys which are sitting empty. I've brewed 20 gallons of beer and 5 gallons of EdWort's Apfelwein, and just bought 4 more batch recipes off BrewMastersWarehouse.com today along with a bunch of equipment on AHS. I've probably spent almost $800 in 1.5 months on brewing, but that covered a huge fermentation chamber (A/C controlled) along with all the equipment I will ever need for garage AG brewing :rockin:

Welcome to the addiction, my friend. You're now trapped, resistance is futile (unless the SWMBO says otherwise, that is...).

Hard addiction to kick for sure,But then who would want to kick this wonderful addiction? Thank you for your service in Iraq,I hope my Brother in law comes home soon. There is no problem with too much in primary,And Im jealous I usually only have 2 at a time....(lack of room).Great to hear your having so much fun with it!!:mug:

Thanks for the suggestion, zman, I will be starting an Apfelwine this weekend! Looks incredible. Thank god I have an extra room that doesn't get much use.

Started my first apfelwine today actually. Its batch #7 for me and I'm looking forward to the end result.

Welcome to the site and the addiction :mug:

Thanks for the time you spent over there Rach.

Welcome to a lovely hobby that will grab you by the ankles and pull you in, if you aren't careful.

And yes, a lot of food items can be included in beers, but some shouldn't.:)

The best thing I can say, is start with simple recipes and keep a good log. I started with a notebook for years, but BeerSmith is a great program. And then just gradually modify your recipes to try new things.

Probably the best advice I can give a new brewer....

When using spices, a little goes a long way. When you figure out exactly how much of a spice you want to use in a beer ... cut that amount in half.

Cheers, and I wish my wife would help brew a few batches now and again, lol.

~r~

Back