Ok, so I just did the dumbest thing ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travt2000

Reaction score
I brewed up a 5 gallon batch of Oktoberfest this afternoon... brew went well, got everything cooled down, and topped up to 5 gallons in my fermenting bucket...

Pitched my yeast, threw on the top for the fermenter, did my usual aerating shakes, and stuck my airlock in the hole before throwing it in my brewing closet.

About 30 minutes later it hit me: I hadn't sanitized the fermenter because I was in a hurry.

Is there even a remote chance that I'm going to get a drinkable beer out of this?

I'm planning on leaving it - might as well see if I get lucky instead of just throwing out the batch. Short of something crazy, I'm assuming I'll be able to detect any contamination when I drink my sample I pull to check final gravity?

If you washed it but didn't sanitize, there's every possibility you'll get drinkable beer.

If you didn't wash or rinse it either, your odds went down.

You've got the right idea, though - leave it alone, see what happens.

I run a disposal service. Just give me your address and I will come pick up your beer for you. ;)

Just kidding. Your beer will be fine. Sanitizing is good practice to make good beer consistently, but I predict that your end product will be drinkable and better than you expect. Don't forget next time, though.

I run a disposal service. Just give me your address and I will come pick up your beer for you. ;)

Just kidding. Your beer will be fine. Sanitizing is good practice to make good beer consistently, but I predict that your end product will be drinkable and better than you expect. Don't forget next time, though.

That's my hope... dumb mistake considering this isn't even close to my first batch... lesson to everyone: Don't brew if you have to rush. Wait until you've got the time to actually make sure you take every necessary step.

Most of my mistakes have come from rushing or trying to multitask while brewing. It isn't hard to brew but it takes some attention, lol. As always though let it run its course, package it and age it. Worse case it ends up undrinkable but I doubt it will.

That's my hope... dumb mistake considering this isn't even close to my first batch... lesson to everyone: Don't brew if you have to rush. Wait until you've got the time to actually make sure you take every necessary step.

I think the real lesson is try not to repeat a mistake. And enjoy your homemade beer in the meantime! :)

The vikings brewed in open top fermenters ad didn't even wash their hands. They still got beer. The biggest challenge is going to be repeating the process if you get something you *really* like.

The vikings brewed in open top fermenters ad didn't even wash their hands. They still got beer. The biggest challenge is going to be repeating the process if you get something you *really* like.

+1!!!

Don't forget those peruvians who mash chicha with their teeth. Wonder if they use StarSan! ;)

you should be fine. I'm confident that no matter how hard I try I never get my primary sterilized fully, and my stuff turns out great. Its next to impossible to clean the inside of a glass carboy the way I'd prefer.

Back