Ok - now I did it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went mucking in my beer after 2 weeks in the secondary and added gelatin two days ago because I wanted to bottle it this weekend....probably got a little oxygen stirred up when I did it because it now looks like somebody hocked lugies into my brew, big long nastly looking strands hanging from it.....toss it or no? and also, if you happen to know what kind of infection this is I am curious about that as well.

We need to see a picture. I've had strands from gelatin, so it might just be that. Let it cold crash (refrigerate) for a couple days and see if it settles out. The chances of infecting a beer in secondary are pretty remote.

SG is anybody's guess, I forgot to take it when I brewed, but the recipe says it should be 1.055 and I only got it down to 1.018, recipe says it should be 1.012....not sure if this is enough to make a difference or not

.018 isn't bad. a lot of people have trouble getting past .020. i've never added gelatin to my beer-so i cant help you with experience. what was your process with it before you added it to the beer? do you have any reason to believe its infection?
are you able to cold crash? (cold room, garage, etc) if you can get the beer atleast below 60 it will help ( i think). i've cold crashed down to 42 degrees with no ill effects on yeast so dont sweat that either.

Back